NEED Breakfast ideas......Please :)

Options
First let me say that I'm easily 100 lbs overweight. I know some people can have 1 piece of toast and be satisfied......unfortunately, that doesn't work for this girl! :noway: I need a breakfast that will stick with me for about 3-4 hours.

I need something that is easy/quick to make (10 minutes or less total), I'm getting burned out on eggs and I've tried to make shakes with fruit and skim milk (it doesn't stick with me long at all), I love the flavor but I am hungry after about two hours. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well Im not sure if it will work for you. but what i usually do is 3-4 eggwhites and i will add chopped up spinach or any other ingredients you please and add a bit of milk.. That alone will fill you up but I also have that with maybe toast with peanut butter, 100% whole wheat bagel with light cream cheese, a whole banana. The main thing is to find things that will fill you up and if you still find yourself hungry just dont eat 5 toast go find another healthy alternative. Yogurt could help, fruits, even chicken if you have time for it or a left over.. Variety keeps you full. I hope I made sense and this helped a bit.
  • teeens77
    teeens77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and peanut butter are my favorite go-to's when I need to stay satisfied for awhile. My favorite is key lime greek yogurt with a low-fat graham crackers crunched up in it (like a healthier key lime pie). My other favorite is an apple dipped in a greek peanut butter dip. Here's the recipe ......... http://realmomkitchen.com/3961/bonus-day-dinner-dips-and-a-gourmet-dessert/ . Both breakfasts are under 200 calories, so you can do both or add something else small for a bit more sustenance.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try adding banana and bran to the shakes

Baked beans on toast

Porridge

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on a toasted engllish muffin

Avacado, tomato, basil on sourdough

Search the net for low G.I breakfast ideas. Try to get a balance of low G.I. carbs, proteins and fibre to keep you feeling full
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Here's my normal breakfast's:

Multi-grain waffles with sf syrup, fruit, and center cut bacon
    Pita pocket with pb and sf jelly
    Oatmeal with with soy milk, either pb or fruit

A lot of people like egg whites (I dislike eggs). You can make your own egg mcmuffin with turkey sausage and egg whites.
  • Darkefairie
    Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i make porridge a lot with some seeds and sultanas in, keeps me going for quite a while unlike most other breakfasts
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of scrambled eggs and bacon (microwave for quick clean up)

also

Cut up an apple, add one spoonful plain Greek yogurt...crumble a few nuts on top

1/3-1/2 cup quick cooked oats (microwave again) add on top a few crumbled nuts and blueberries (or apples, etc) and a pinch of SEA salt

freeze bananas. In the am toss frozen banana, 1/4-1/2 cup almond or coconut milk (depending on if you use protein powder), a spoon of all nat. peanut butter, and one scoop protein powder, blend bam smoothie

Frozen berries almond milk and protein powder

(I can go on and on lol)

Flax seeds (ground) added to any of these adds protein / Omegas)

:-)
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Rolled oat porridge. Keeps you full for hours. You'll get to lunch before you even realise you're hungry. Wholegrain, high fibre, low fat (if you cook with water or skim milk), cheap, good for heart health...ticks a lot of nutrition boxes.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Oats!!!!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Grits! I make them in the microwave (but don't use the microwave pouches!) and throw in some cheese or poach an egg. Less than 200 calories with the cheese or egg, hot and VERY filling!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I usually have a greek yogurt and that fills me up. However, if I am particularly hungry, or if I know that I'm not going to have the opportunity to eat for a few hours, I will have oatmeal. The Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal is yummy and high in protein so it is very filing.
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    My 1st meal every day:
    3 eggs 3 egg whites
    2 slices wheat toast
    protein shake with ice and 1 tbsp peanut butter.
    coffee
    usually lasts me 3 hours and takes about 10 minutes to make. if you make your shake while eggs are cooking
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would like to second the idea of oatmeal, a little flax seed, cinnamon, a apple, and green tea just over 200 cals. This breakfast is high in fiber and will make you feel full, it is much more satisfying in winter and is fairly healthy. Oatmeal can help with cholesterol, flax seed has omega 3's, apple gives you sugar for a boost of energy, and green tea has antioxidants and some caffeine.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Steph,

I have the exact same issue with breakfast. If I can keep very busy I can actually skip breakfast. However, if I eat breakfast I will be hungry in just a couple hours. I have tried a great many things. Most items are just not satisfying enough for 3 to 4 hours before lunch.

Sometimes eating the same thing over and over again for breakfast will do that to you as well. You just get so bored with it even though you ate it you crave something new.

Your problem is very common for the average work day person. What I recommend is having a few different items you can get away with snacking on. Vegetables work best as they will give you a longer lasting full feeling. Try and eat a handful of cut carrots, or a couple small apples about 2 hours after breakfast. Switch it up with an occasional health/protein bar, cashews, almonds. Sometimes I even break my snack up into two parts. I'll eat my first snack after two hours and the last part an hour later. Then in another hour I am having my lunch.

I'll sometimes add a salad to have an afternoon snack because that can be done easily in under 20 calories (I use a fat free/calorie free dressing) and if I know I am going to need a protein boost that day I can always add some chicken breast to the salad.

But don't forget to change up your breakfast either. A bowl of cereal one day, eggs another, oatmeal, whole grain pancakes. Then balance your snacks accordingly for the calories you ate at breakfast. That way you don't consume more calories you just spread them out.
  • Steph_40
    Steph_40 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas! I'm actually a bit excited about trying some of these. I just need to be a little creative and definately need to plan in advance.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ham steak with warm apple sauce, cinnamon, and almonds. Fry the ham pour in a little apple sauce to heat and sprinkle with cinnamon and slivered or crushed almonds. Can even use walnuts or pecans.
  • chhershberger
    Options
    I enjoy Malt-o-meal. It takes a few minutes to make. I can make it with water, or lowfat milk, or a mix of both. I can add fruit. It is very satisfying, sticks with me, and satisfies the cravings that a piece of toast can never do. I buy the box - not the premixed packets - it only has 130 calories if made with water. It is delicious and healthy!! BTW - this is Craig's wife, Maria Jamell, posting from his site.
    :smile:
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast, it's one of my favorite meals of the day.

My go to breakfast is 113 grams of trim cottage cheese mixed with 6 ounces of non fat plain greek yogurt. Then I add about 28 grams of muesli (no sugar added, I use Bob's Red Mill brand).
    It's filling, high in protein, and has under 300 calories.

My 2nd go to breakfast is refrigerator oatmeal that I make the night before and just grab and go.
  • disgruntledone
    disgruntledone Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is what I am eating at this very moment for breakfast. Its a parfait. It will require more that 10 minutes but you can make them in advance and make 5-6 at a time. For each serving I cooked about 1/4 dry steel oats, once done cooking I put into small container add a container of Yoplait light yogurt what ever flavor you like and when I am about to eat it I top it with a bit of fruit that matches the yogurt flavor. Altogether it is about 230 calories if I did my calculations right. =-)
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Grits! I make them in the microwave (but don't use the microwave pouches!) and throw in some cheese or poach an egg. Less than 200 calories with the cheese or egg, hot and VERY filling!
    what kind of cheese?
  • missdibs1
    Options
    I would like to second the idea of oatmeal, a little flax seed, cinnamon, a apple, and green tea just over 200 cals. This breakfast is high in fiber and will make you feel full, it is much more satisfying in winter and is fairly healthy. Oatmeal can help with cholesterol, flax seed has omega 3's, apple gives you sugar for a boost of energy, and green tea has antioxidants and some caffeine.

purrfect!!