Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How the Sugar Industry Shaped Heart Disease Research

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think many people are sick of the 20 page sugar *kitten* fights, where neither side will back down and ultimately doesn't get anyone anywhere..

Yep. :)
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    chapiano wrote: »
    I have read similar articles and couldn't agree more. Just ignore all the abuse you will receive posting this (learnt my lesson posting about sugar myself!)

There has been no abuse in this thread, and it was posted in the debate forum.

And I'd actually disagree that no one picked up the low fat = healthy claim. The FDA has recently issued cease and desist letters to companies who include the word "healthy" on their label because the products were too high in fat (Kind bars specifically come to mind). The current FDA definition of healthy has fat restrictions on the use of the term. The restrictions of the term relate to fat, saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol, vitamins, and fortification. There was discussion that they were reconsidering the definition of the term.

That said, I feel like there is an opposite claim now. People are eschewing sugar and carbs and heavily promoting the increase of fats.

The author of the linked paper was interviewed on NPR yesterday, and she mentioned at the time that there was research showing fat was linked to heart disease, research showing sugar was linked to heart disease, and research that both are linked to heart disease. She then made her conclusion that the sugar industry influenced how those results were interpreted.

I'm more inclined to believe that both sugar and fat are linked, and a moderate and balanced overall diet will increase health.

But you know industries, they're going to push to sell their products, so um, long live high fat diets?

Yes...I don't, and never will understand the black and white thinking that leads to these kinds of pendulum swings. It's like people have never heard of balance...

I think the debate comes in with the definition of balance. Who decided what is balanced? Why are certain diets considered balanced? What is it based on?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Layne Norton talked about this 2 days ago..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKsdvGCGJw
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think many people are sick of the 20 page sugar *kitten* fights, where neither side will back down and ultimately doesn't get anyone anywhere..

I have read similar articles and couldn't agree more. Just ignore all the abuse you will receive posting this (learnt my lesson posting about sugar myself!)

And I'd actually disagree that no one picked up the low fat = healthy claim. The FDA has recently issued cease and desist letters to companies who include the word "healthy" on their label because the products were too high in fat (Kind bars specifically come to mind). The current FDA definition of healthy has fat restrictions on the use of the term. The restrictions of the term relate to fat, saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol, vitamins, and fortification. There was discussion that they were reconsidering the definition of the term.

That said, I feel like there is an opposite claim now. People are eschewing sugar and carbs and heavily promoting the increase of fats.

The author of the linked paper was interviewed on NPR yesterday, and she mentioned at the time that there was research showing fat was linked to heart disease, research showing sugar was linked to heart disease, and research that both are linked to heart disease. She then made her conclusion that the sugar industry influenced how those results were interpreted.

I'm more inclined to believe that both sugar and fat are linked, and a moderate and balanced overall diet will increase health.

But you know industries, they're going to push to sell their products, so um, long live high fat diets?

Yes...I don't, and never will understand the black and white thinking that leads to these kinds of pendulum swings. It's like people have never heard of balance...

I think the debate comes in with the definition of balance. Who decided what is balanced? Why are certain diets considered balanced? What is it based on?

The WHO is one of the groups who determine what is balanced by science. It's a fairly wide range too. Not too much added sugar, not too much fat either though, because both reduce the amount of micros you can potentially get as they're mostly gotten from foods that are per calorie high in carbs. Hard to get too much protein but there's a range for those too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Considering the context in which I used the term, we can essentially rule out "low fat", "low carb", or "low protein". By definition, they aren't balanced.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I love a good conspiracy theory. Oh, the big smoking gun was that they what? Paid someone to research the role of fat in cardiovascular disease, am I missing something here? Where is the meat? Where are the dead or missing scientist that "proved" that it was sugar rather than fat? I want a better drama than this boring stuff of someone paid for research on fat to promote low fat high carb diets.

Man, this is a lame conspiracy! *pouts*
  • nvmomketo

Considering the context in which I used the term, we can essentially rule out "low fat", "low carb", or "low protein". By definition, they aren't balanced.

I like to think of balanced in terms on essential nutrients. Make sure you get enough of those. The rest is not required for balance. IMO.
  • auddii

I like to think of balanced in terms on essential nutrients. Make sure you get enough of those. The rest is not required for balance. IMO.

Right, but it's the exact opposite of my point. Which is expected since you do LCHF.

But, my point is so many people bemoan the low fat era and rant and rave about the damage done to the "name" of fat and I can agree. But then they go on to do the same thing to sugar and/or carbs.

My point being, in 20 years, we may be making the same moaning noises about low carb.

So why bother low anything and eat in balance?

And you're perfectly welcome to disagree, but that was how I was defining the term.
  • Wheelhouse15

I guess you could define "balanced" that way, but that's not the accepted use and that's not a knock because I have nothing against Keto as a viable diet choice for some. I just don't think we should be redefining words because it leads to a breakdown in communication.

I would say you can have an unbalanced but sufficiently nutritious diet.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Right, but it's the exact opposite of my point. Which is expected since you do LCHF.

But, my point is so many people bemoan the low fat era and rant and rave about the damage done to the "name" of fat and I can agree. But then they go on to do the same thing to sugar and/or carbs.

My point being, in 20 years, we may be making the same moaning noises about low carb.

And you're perfectly welcome to disagree, but that was how I was defining the term.

What's really out of balance IMO is how we eat. We eat in the car, at our desks, work thru lunch while we eat, on the couch etc. There are times and places to eat and times and places not to eat, we are running out of the latter...
  • auddii
    J72FIT wrote: »

What's really out of balance IMO is how we eat. We eat in the car, at our desks, work thru lunch while we eat, on the couch etc. There are times and places to eat and times and places not to eat, we are running out of the latter...

To some extent I agree. Mindless eating definitely contributed to how I got so large. But, to be fair, I work through my lunch these days, but only so I can spend my actual lunch break out walking...

:smiley:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Even too much of a good thing is too much. Essential nutrients are not exempt from that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Even too much of a good thing is too much. Essential nutrients are not exempt from that.

To add, let's also not take out of context that the required amounts of essential nutrients is so little that it can be done under any diet, even the 80/10/10 raw diet.
  • Wheelhouse15
    psulemon wrote: »

To add, let's also not take out of context that the required amounts of essential nutrients is so little that it can be done under any diet, even the 80/10/10 raw diet.

Well, certain nutrients such as protein, iron and B12 have been known to be issues on those diets and often need to be supplemented just as some nutrients commonly seem to need supplementation under Keto.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psulemon wrote: »

Well, certain nutrients such as protein, iron and B12 have been known to be issues on those diets and often need to be supplemented just as some nutrients commonly seem to need supplementation under Keto.

Solid point.
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2016
    Balanced Diet
    noun
    1. a diet consisting of the proper quantities and proportions of foods needed to maintain health or growth.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/balanced-diet

I don't think there is a clear definition of balanced. Who sets the "proper quantities and proportions" of foods? See what I mean? According to this I have a balanced diet. When I was gaining weight after developing insulin resistance, I ate a wider variety of foods but perhaps it was not balanced since I was not maintaining my health - it was going downhill.

A "balanced diet" is one of those health terms that I think should be used much less frequently.