not sweating during weight training

Options
So i've started weight training after doing Kayla's BBG and although i loved it I wanted to try weight training as everyone says its great for weight loss (i know a calorie deficit is key) i just mean in addition. So ive found a beginners workout from aworkoutroutine.com. Im on week 2 now but i just dont find im sweating during the workout. I have increased the weight since i started, i now lift 15kg to 25kg, i know this is 'heavy' but i want to work my way up so i dont compromise form. Anyway this is the routine
workout A-
squats 3 sets 8-10
Bench press 3 sets 8-10
Rows 3 sets 8-10
Workout B-
Deadlifts 3 sets 6-8
Pull ups or lat pull downs 3 sets 8-10
Overhead shoulder press 3 sets 8-10.
2 min rests between sets.
I also finish with some sets of jump squats and a 10 min incline walk on treadmill. So should i be working up a sweat and as im not where am i going wrong? Do i need to reduce rest time? or find a more intermediate workout?? thanks!!!

Replies

• mrsbudryzer
    mrsbudryzer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sweating varies from person to person and it also varies by workout and intensity. I can have a nice glow on leg day, but nothing on back and biceps day for example. I always sweat when doing cardio but usually not until the 15 minute mark. And of course, if Im not putting in a good amount of effort, it will take much longer than 15 minutes. My husband on the other hand (who always works out with great intensity) starts to sweat after 5 minutes no matter what he's doing.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't usually sweat much during a weight lifting session, either. When I run, though, that's a whole 'nother story.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sweating is related to cooling you down or as a reaction to stress, it's not directly related to effort.

For example, if I run slowly in the summer I sweat like crazy. If I run 2-3min per mile faster in temps below 50F, and I won't sweat so much as a drop. I'm still expending more energy on the winter run, even though the summer run feels oh so much harder.

Lifting weights usually doesn't generate a great deal of heat if you're not doing it quickly. Personally, when the weights get heavy enough that I'm struggling I'll sweat some, but I'm pretty sure that's from the stress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat much either. Lol, probably because I have eczema, so dry skin is a big issue for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Sweating is related to cooling you down or as a reaction to stress, it's not directly related to effort.

For example, if I run slowly in the summer I sweat like crazy. If I run 2-3min per mile faster in temps below 50F, and I won't sweat so much as a drop. I'm still expending more energy on the winter run, even though the summer run feels oh so much harder.

Lifting weights usually doesn't generate a great deal of heat if you're not doing it quickly. Personally, when the weights get heavy enough that I'm struggling I'll sweat some, but I'm pretty sure that's from the stress.

It's also related to humidity, at least as far as actually being wet. Where I live it's really dry most of the year. In the winter I don't sweat much at all because it's cooler and drier. I can literally come inside from a 10 mile run at a 10:00 pace almost bone dry and with a salt crust. In the summer, during the rainy season, it's 80F and 80% humidity at dawn, I'm running 3 or 4 miles at a 11:30 pace, I'm dripping everywhere and my clothes are soaking wet.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont sweat much when i lift, but when i do i think WOW my body really had to put out some effort for that lift. i lift in the single rep range a lot, so i sometimes break a sweat after one lift, and its kinda exciting.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat except during cardio workouts....
  • lpaigewilsonmfp
    Options
    I don't sweat that much when lifting, sort of depends what I'm doing.. but i sweat sooo much when i do cardio lol.. probably another reason why i hate cardio and love lifting so much
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Cut that rest period down to 45-60 seconds. Then focus on really contracting the muscles. That usually does the trick for me. I was literally pouring sweat today.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hot it is. Today I will be sweating as it's about 28C.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

It's also related to humidity, at least as far as actually being wet. Where I live it's really dry most of the year. In the winter I don't sweat much at all because it's cooler and drier. I can literally come inside from a 10 mile run at a 10:00 pace almost bone dry and with a salt crust. In the summer, during the rainy season, it's 80F and 80% humidity at dawn, I'm running 3 or 4 miles at a 11:30 pace, I'm dripping everywhere and my clothes are soaking wet.

you say you don't sweat in winter but if you are coming in bone dry with a salt crust following your run you HAVE been sweating and the sweat is doing what sweat is supposed to do.

Sweat is a mechanism to cool the body down. It also help to balance the level of salts/blood/water levels in the body. By sweating whilst running, we are working with the atmosphere to cool us down - so our warm sweat evaporates from our skin creating a cooling effect. Match the humidity to the sweat levels, and the sweating process will be less effective. Run in cool temperatures and the body will need to cool itself less so generate less sweat.

As sweat is directly related to body temperature rise it doesn't necessarily follow that you will sweat doing weights.