Goal Weight

I have been with MFP for sometime now. How do I calculate what my goal weight should be? Thanks!

Replies

• foen_i
    foen_i Posts: 27 Member
    Whatever your personal goal body looks like :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    You decide what your goal weight should be. I picked a number that put me in the middle of a healthy BMI. You can calculate your BMI and use that as a tool to help you decide. BMI isn't a perfect tool, but it can be a good starting place for most people.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    That's a very individual decision: It depends on lots of details about body type, as well as your personal preferences and even possibly your cultural context.

Some possible things to consider: BMI range (as @kgirlhart suggested); your doctor's or other health professional's opinion about what would be a healthy range for you; health statistics like your blood pressure and cholesterol/triglycerides and any others that may be relevant for you; your appearance preferences; how you feel.

I set an initial goal weight that I fully intended to re-evaluate when it got close - and re-evaluate I did. Finally, when I knew I was getting close, I literally woke up one morning, looked myself over, and decided I was "there". Then I set a maintenance range (in my case plus or minus 3 pounds because that encompassed usual daily fluctuations) to use to guide me after that.