Healthy Tacos recipe needed

Options
I have been craving some salty and yummy Mexican food the last week but even with lean ground beef the calories are super high. Does anyone have a tasty taco recipe that is more friendly to the calorie dairy?

Replies

• jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    You can always, use 93/7 ground turkey, or ground beef,.( pref turkey) Sharp cheddar cheese for salt, You can go heavy on the veggies like peppers oions, cilatro etc. and use lettuce or cabbage as the taco shells. Its what i do
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I love lettuce tacos. The shell is so much of your calories. You can even use chicken breast shredded. Make your own taco seasoning. There are great recipes out there to make your own that are just as tasty as the packets with way less salt.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Quorn mince works really well in Tacos and other spicy food. It doesn't have much flavour of it's own and take on the flavours of what ever you add to it. Use some fats in the cooking, with spice it's the fat which carries the flavour.

Try quorn mince, lettuce, and salsa of chopped tomatos, onion and corriander (cilantro). Low fat yoghurt with garlic, or shredded cucumber alternative to sour cream.

Taco Seasoning:
    1 tsp Chilli Powder
    1 tsp Cumin
    1/2 tsp Paprika
    1/4 tsp onion or garlic powder
    1/4 tsp oregano
    salt and pepper
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been using fresh cabbage leaf shells for tacos or steaming them to make a burrito or enchiladas.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/06/chorizo-meatballs-low-carb-gluten-free.html

chorizomeatballs2small.jpg?04a2ec
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try using spaghetti squash instead of meat. You get the flavor when you add the spices, but way less calories. It totally works!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I like for fish tacos (and it's under 300 calories for two of the tacos):

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sauteed-tilapia-tacos-50400000114442/

Depending on my mood I do sometimes use small whole wheat flour tortillas instead of corn ones.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I use soft corn tortillas, will either shred chicken or pork or use lentils and make my own seasoning. Add some lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, a little cheese and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (subs for sour cream). It's got a ton of nutrients and can be pretty low cal. Using a sharp cheese will give a lot of flavor with a small amount.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have thought of using cauliflower instead of meat before, but there really is no point as I feel tacos are already pretty good in calories. I use 93/7 ground turkey, my own taco seasoning so I can monitor the sodium, fresh tomatoes/onions, light sour cream, con queso dip because it is so delicious (and only 40 cals per 2 tbsp), salsa, and guacamole (if I decide to make it that day). I also like to make taco salads for lunch with the leftovers. I can make a huge salad for less than 300 calories.

One of my favorite tricks is putting extra seasoning on the meat so I don't need to use as much and can use extra veggies.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree that lettuce tacos are really yummy. If you prefer the traditional shell though, there's always eating them in moderation; a good way to do it would be to only pick up one or two tacos, then go home and eat them so you're out of temptation's path.
  • joannmorford
    joannmorford Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You might try ground buffalo. Its better nutritionally than beef and lower fat.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Black beans r yummy! Makes excellent tacos! Or grilled tilapia!
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Quorn mince works really well in Tacos and other spicy food. It doesn't have much flavour of it's own and take on the flavours of what ever you add to it. Use some fats in the cooking, with spice it's the fat which carries the flavour.

I second the Quorn mince - and I throw in some canned, drained kidney beans for even more nutrition. I also find a little tomato puree wakes the whole thing up.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can always, use 93/7 ground turkey, or ground beef,.( pref turkey) Sharp cheddar cheese for salt, You can go heavy on the veggies like peppers oions, cilatro etc. and use lettuce or cabbage as the taco shells. Its what i do

This. Love me some turkey tacos!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    define "super high"

I make mine with ground beef, real cheese, and real sour cream. I have no trouble fitting them in my calories on a day when I exercise. I could even eat more of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Define healthy? I have tacos all the time. Lean ground beef, chicken or turkey, low fat cheese, low fat sour cream, a lot of salsa, some avocado, in a whole grain shell/tortilla, it's maybe 180 calories for one? I can fit two or three, no problem. Or you can use black beans.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    I have been craving some salty and yummy Mexican food the last week but even with lean ground beef the calories are super high. Does anyone have a tasty taco recipe that is more friendly to the calorie dairy?

My wife made a kick *kitten* taco pizza last night.

She only cooks healthy, i know she used ground turkey 93% lean and whole wheat dough. Send me a Friend request and ill have her give me the recipe for you :)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    MatYoung posted a taco seasoning recipe - use that; pour it over about a pound of chicken breast in a crock pot with the entirety of a small jar of salsa. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, then shred and stir to combine evenly. Perfect taco meat; healthy, lean, low-cal and seasoned! I always put it in a flour or corn tortilla, add lettuce, tomato and maybe black onion and a little sour cream. They don't break any calorie budget and taste delish.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    define "super high"

I make mine with ground beef, real cheese, and real sour cream. I have no trouble fitting them in my calories on a day when I exercise. I could even eat more of them.

After reading this post, I made my recipe with a few more veggies and decreased the serving amount and surprise! No problem. I was just using too large a serving (1/2 cup) and lowered it to 1/3 cup. I made two corn tortillas with that amount f meat, cheese and sour cream and it was under 500 calories. Not bad at all.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas gang...I get in those moods too! Really getting into Salmon, tasty in tacos? Just going to lookup the Tiliapia taco's link shared above.:tongue:

EDIT: The fish taco's recipe looks tasty.. gonna try this soon.