How aggressive is your deficit and how much do you want to lose?

Options
Well not much to add. I am anywhere between 500-800 depending on how active I am. I've got 15lbs to lose.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    (Amazing progress OP, looking like a badass). I'm similar, between 500 and 800 is pretty close for me as well and over the last 9 weeks I've lost about 9 pounds so tracks pretty well. I've got 18 pounds left to lose.
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Only want about .5 per week, running about a 500 cal/ day deficit gives me a little wiggle room to cheat and still achieve my goals. Only want 10 pounds off
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 500 calories a day and to lose 2lbs a week w/about 58 lbs to lose.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm set to a 750 deficit with about 40lbs to go to my first goal. 60-65 for a BMI ideal weight. I'm losing at a rate of about 1000/day deficit but I've yet to get my fitbit added calories figured out. So I tend to eat within 100 or so calories of my base.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    About 500 per day. Sometimes a little more, usually a little less because after 18 months of losing I'm a little more, um, free with my goals! As long as I hit 0.5lbs per week on average at this point I can live with it and my health hasn't been brilliant this year so I have to make allowances for that. 50lbs lost so far, 20-30lbs to go. No real end goal, it's aesthetic for me so will know in the mirror not on the scale.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I am aiming for 500 calories a day and to lose 2lbs a week w/about 58 lbs to lose.

...but 500 calories a day deficit is 1 pound per week.

Crap. I need to be more aggressive. Didn't realize I wasn't being aggressive enough. :(
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    About 500 per day. Sometimes a little more, usually a little less because after 18 months of losing I'm a little more, um, free with my goals! As long as I hit 0.5lbs per week on average at this point I can live with it and my health hasn't been brilliant this year so I have to make allowances for that. 50lbs lost so far, 20-30lbs to go. No real end goal, it's aesthetic for me so will know in the mirror not on the scale.

Yeah I don't have a goal weight per se I just know I need to lose fat and in order to do that I need to be in a deficit. Wondering how much of my lean mass I'm risking running higher deficits since 800 feels like I'm getting into dangerous ratio territory for each lb I lose. I'd obviously like to minimize my lean mass loss lol
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for .5 pounds a week. I'm about 3 pounds away from my first goal and 6 pounds away from my ultimate goal. I'm in no huge rush, I've already lost 29ish pounds and finally into the normal BMI category. It will happen when it happens.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Between 250-500....but mostly 250.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    only 200 cals because I eat 1200 and only burn 1400. It's painfully slow. I have 5 more pounds to go.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

Yeah I don't have a goal weight per se I just know I need to lose fat and in order to do that I need to be in a deficit. Wondering how much of my lean mass I'm risking running higher deficits since 800 feels like I'm getting into dangerous ratio territory for each lb I lose. I'd obviously like to minimize my lean mass loss lol

Honestly? I think it's way too aggressive with what you have left and looking how pretty lean you already are in your pictures. I'd be shooting more for 250 per day now, maybe a smidge more.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I am competitive with myself and always tempted to get aggressive. When I only had a few pounds to lose in order to get lean enough to bulk I got aggressive...I looked like death.

I got aggressive after the bulk when I tried to bulk again and just failed.

I've also tried a moderate deficit and also failed.

The only time I did well was when I was still fat and relatively aggressive.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    The only time I did well was when I was still fat and relatively aggressive.

I know that feeling.

Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much about maintaining muscle so I could cut really aggressively even now. I do wonder, realistically, how much muscle I'd lose if I dropped to 1200 for a couple of months.

• frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    500-1k depending on how much activity.... I am tending toward macros at the moment.... Sometimes mfp doesn't like it though ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cutting at 200-250, do have a goal weight but moreover a painfully lower BF% range..gosh darned maintaining muscle is hard.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

...but 500 calories a day deficit is 1 pound per week.

Crap. I need to be more aggressive. Didn't realize I wasn't being aggressive enough. :(

In another thread someone said they saw you wanted to lose 58 pounds? Two pounds per week is an aggressive deficit with that amount to lose.
  • loulouowens
    loulouowens Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sorry to be a bit dim, but what do you mean by deficit ? How do I work mine out on here?