Is there a way to calculate calories burnt by wheeling a wheelchair?

Options
2»

Replies

• gaderfler
    gaderfler Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Middlehaitch, sadly I do not. I am a diehard android user. Thanks, for the info. I am in the process of diving into not one but two technical manuals, one for a new phone, and the other for a new a Nook tablet I received on the 17th for my 50th bday. Well technically it's the 2nd phone since then. Thr other ones flash from the camera went off all the time. Sleeping flash, ringing continous flashing, text or im blinking, it got to the point I wad ready to stomp on it, so I traded it in today. Well back to hell. Have a goodmweekend andmyhanks for thr heads up.
    Gretchen
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK I'm an Occupational therapist. Many of my university classes were PT and OTs together. We did have appartus for a PT study on enegy expenditure for crutch walking. You strapped it on and breathed through the maks and tubes. For this particular studey you crutch walked 1 km. (.6 of a mile for you americans). Then the studey looked at the best way to train for crutch walking-Using arm pedals, crutch walking or nothing. The answer was crutch walking. Anyhow this machine that measures CO2 out put and a heart rate monitor would do it for you.

But meanwhile ditch the 2% milk for skim milk and log Everything you eat or drink. Keep wheeling and increase as you are able.
  • hydeaway62
    hydeaway62 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The new Apple Watch has a feature that does exactly what you want. It even takes into account your "style" of pushing the wheels. Google it and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • gaderfler
    Options
    meritage4, Thank you for that information. I discussed the possibility of aquiring a machine like you described and it's not and option, due probably to the cost, you know if it isn't making them money it's not willing to get it. We discussed further, your thought on just monitoring O2 output and heart rate would give us part of the picture. He still feels that we have to consider distance, terain and I believe he also said the weight of the chair and I, need to figre in there.

hydeaway62, you are correct about the new Apple "watchO3". It definitely would do everything I need. Unfortunately, the cost makes it impossible to make it an impossible choice for me. as I had explain in a pryor post, I live in a nursing home. As to what remains of my Social Security check each month, after my insurance has paid all they are willing to pay, my copay works out to be all but $50.00. Out of that $50.00, I must buy clothes, pay for telephone bill, and get any other personal sundries, I will need to get for the whole month. As far as stretching to get clothes, it could literly take months. So as you can see, it wouold be all most impossible, and by the time I had saved enough, they would be introducing "watch06".

No at this point, my best bet, or should I say only) is to find out the equ
  • gaderfler
    Options
    Con't.... to find out the formula that University of Tennessee used and do the all the calculations myself, but,thsnk you,both.
  • toddlcox
    toddlcox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in a wheelchair and had a wellness program through work. They had a cheap step counter that I used for counting pushes after speaking to a support person. Basically, she suggested I buy a velcro strap that you feed thru the clip on the back of step counter and place on your wrist. I adjusted it to count 2 "steps" for every push (1 for left arm, 1 for right). There's usually a way to calibrate the counter thru the digital menu to get it to count 2 "steps". I saw one on Amazon for $19.99 that does all that. If you can afford Apple watch, they are the only company that I know of that actually has a wheelchair mode built into the software. They designed it with actual wheelchair users and I heard it works well.