I need to create a calorie deficit but feel hungry when I do! What can fill me up like rice does?

Options
13»

Replies

• italstallion1975
    Options
    Sorry I didn't realize I wasn't suppose to post links, I apologize. I was trying to help
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The other option, and this is what I do, is add in exercise to up your daily calorie goals. MFP put me at a 1600 calorie a day deficit when I first started out, I thought I was going to die (yes I know people get set lower than that, I'm a big guy though). I found the only way I could do it was add an average of 500+ calories a day back in with exercise. Made things so much easier, and over the course of the year it took me to hit my goals it built me muscle and developed habits that have kept propelling me forward to this day to be more fit than I've ever been in my life. Some people hate exercise, sweating, or simply don't have time for it (I was one of those people). I'm not saying you're one of those people, but once you embrace a good program you'll be better off for it, and you'll be able to eat the way you need to satisfy your cravings. Consistency is key though. Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »
    Seconding the brown rice suggestion. Brown basmati is lovely and I typically cook 30-35g raw weight of it for myself and can't always finish it.

I can't be doing with cauliflower "rice" but I do usually have some boiled on the side with a curry, as it goes do well.

i bought a pouch of ready made cauliflower rice.. i like cauliflower but it was the most disgusting thing i'd ever tasted!

Lol yeah, if you expect the taste of rice you're going to be very disappointed, lol.

It tasted of crushed dreams and sadness....

I agree. Plus cauliflower is too flavorful to work in place of rice, which is usually used because its blandness brings out the other flavors.

Which is why the few times I've had it and liked it (at restaurants) it's been paired with something spicy and saucy that completely obliterated the taste of cauliflower. It was just there for texture. And because the chef apparently thinks cauliflower is 'in'.

Personally, when I make rice I like to taste it so I don't cover it in a bunch of sauce, etc. Substituting with cauliflower in those cases just does not work.

I totally agree. Same for potatoes. Mashed cauliflower was never a good substitute, because potatoes don't have a strong flavor so the taste of the potatoes plays well with the subtle notes of butter and milk. In case of cauliflower mash, all you can taste is cauliflower, it drowns out everything else even the pepper (I mean the flavor of ground pepper, not just the spiciness). I love cauliflower, and I eat it when what I want is the taste of cauliflower. It makes a horrible substitute for other dishes though, to me at least.