how many caloriers should one eat while breastfeeding

Options
well after 9 months of waiting for my little bundle joy and 2 weeks of breastfeeding i want to get back into normal routine........
but i dont know how many calories i must have while breastfeeding....?
any suggestion

Replies

• YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience, but a quick Google search estimates 300-500 extra calories a day. Add those to your daily goal and see where you are after a few weeks.
  • sjakab0903
    sjakab0903 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding also and have this same question! Like the pp said, Google tells me 300-500 extra calories. My BMR is about 1600 so I plan to manually set my diary at 1900 and see how that works out. We just have to be careful not to consume too few cals or else you could see a drop in supply.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    A great (free) resource for breastfeeding questions is La Leche League. A quick Google search and you'll be able to find the number for one in your area
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I want to be cautious - after 2 weeks, I wouldn't try to cut or count calories - your milk supply is still fluctuating and the baby is probably going to have a few "growth spurts" coming up. For now - I'd eat to hunger and drink to thirst and see how things go.

I'd wait until your baby is past the "8-week growth spurt" and then maybe start trying to get into a calorie routine.
  • jennb2096
    jennb2096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you wait until your supply has been fully established. 6-8 weeks I believe is recommended.
  • jennb2096
    jennb2096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    But I add 300 calories to my goal. My baby is 11 months though. If under 6 months I would say to add 500?