Getting bigger before you get smaller?

Options
It's week two of getting back on track. When I was in top shape I was doing 5 days/week in the gym. 3 days weights and two days cardio.

Now, I can't remember at the start of that last journey if I felt bigger before I got smaller. All of the reading says a lot of people complain about feeling larger, bloated etc. for weeks after starting weight training. This is due to water retention, stress on the muscles etc.

Now, has anyone experienced this? I won't stop weight training but I'm really not looking forward to feeling larger for weeks.. I'm doing this to slim down! Has anyone found if you previously lifted this doesn't happen? I'm hoping muscle memory will work in my favor on this one.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you start strenuous activity, you are susceptible to gain water weight. It's not fat so don't panic. Eat in a deficit and keep going, it'll equal out in the end.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes this happens when you start weight lifting or any exercise, increase/change volume or intensity of exercise..

Keep doing what you are doing. And try not to concentrate on a 1 - 2 pounds you see on the scale or feel.

Muscle memory does not have anything to do with this, once you adapt, you see it go down, but when you change it up again, it will go up again.. Completely normal.