Cutting sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    charis2979 wrote: »
    At the moment I drink coffee free from the office. I drink 2 6oz cups before lunch, each with 2 Tbsp which is 150 cals and 50 g of sugar. This is the only place that sugar really gets me. I stay under or at my calories no problem elsewhere, but am concerned that I go over on my recommended sugar everyday.

Have you considered possibly cutting coffee out of your sugar? Maybe just suck on a hard candy?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    At the moment I drink coffee free from the office. I drink 2 6oz cups before lunch, each with 2 Tbsp which is 150 cals and 50 g of sugar. This is the only place that sugar really gets me. I stay under or at my calories no problem elsewhere, but am concerned that I go over on my recommended sugar everyday.

As long as you don't have a medical reason to cut out sugar, going over your recommended daily allowance on MFP is not a big deal (as long as you can keep it within your daily calorie budget).
  • charis2979
    charis2979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you ccrdragon, that's what I was hoping for!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I would start with trying to reduce down the 2Tbsp - have you tried 1 Tbsp? Do you use creamer? Have you tried any of the flavored creamers? I use the Coffee Mate liquid creamer, it is 35 cals/tbsp and 5 g of sugar. I typically consume about 3 tbsp of that in my morning cups of coffee so it's not significantly lower calories than what you are consuming, unless you are adding cream too and then I guess it could be.

Besides that, the MFP sugar goal is notoriously low, and without a medical reason to restrict sugar, many people don't even track it and opt for tracking fiber instead. Because MFP doesn't differentiate between added sugar and natural sugar, it's possible to exceed that goal with just fruit.
  • charis2979
    charis2979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback folks. It's really great having such knowledgeable and supportive folks along this journey!