1200 calories day??

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm at around 1200cals too but I try my best to eat most of my exercise cals back so in the end its more like 1500-1800cals consumed daily depending on what I do.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am horrified there are several men here eating at 1200-1300 calories, to be quite frank.
    Good luck getting your metabolisms functioning as they should do once you go to maintenance.
  • Meetthegoals123
    Options
    I'm currently sticking to on or below 1200 a day, and so far I have lost almost 22lb in about two and a half months (currently about 139lb) after the first few weeks I found it very easy to stick to this goal, for me I loved fruit juices and meat, I try eat whole fruits rather than litres of juice now! Which helps with lowering my sugar intake, and instead of having red meat almost every day of the week il go for something else, like potatos, salad, soups or fish. My weeks generally go that I will have about 2 days on around 1200 maybe the odd day of over 1200 and the rest are usually under 1200, not on purpose that's just how it seems to be for me.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed that so many people think MFP sets everyone at 1200. It doesn't. There's nothing magic about that number, and its really too low for most people (not all...). Ive lost all this weight eating what MFP set me at....1610. If I'd only tried to eat 1200...I would have been miserable, and would have quit long before acheiving success.
  • Kaymegan90
    Kaymegan90 Posts: 35
    Options
    I started out with the 1200 calories a day and had to up it. I'm at 1,300 right now and probably going to bump it to 1400 next week. I think 1400 is probably more appropriate for me personally but it'll be different for everyone!
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    I am horrified there are several men here eating at 1200-1300 calories, to be quite frank.
    Good luck getting your metabolisms functioning as they should do once you go to maintenance.

I agree. I am horrified that anyone eats at 1200, to be honest. A bitty old lady in a coma would need more than 1200 calories per day just to survive... in a coma.

It's OK though - while a lot of people on MFP will end up irrevocably ruining their metabolisms thus always having to eat less to maintain weight (which is harder to lose because they're eating too little) I will lose steadily and happily at 1650, maintain well over 2000 and eat what I want within reason for the rest of my life. Sustainable life changes, not crash diets for instant results with permanent bodily damage, thank you very much.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did 1500 to 2100 a day (depending on how I felt). Dropped the weight I wanted and improved my cardio to where I can ride my bike 200 to 300 miles a week. I found the MPF calculator was inaccurate for me. Its a tool. If it works for you, than fantastic, but it is not the end all/be all.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have personally adjusted to the 1200 calorie a day plan, but only through making some serious changes to the TYPES of foods I eat. I added more lean protein, whole grains, veggies and cut out some sugar/salt. Also, I'm a whopping 4'11" so my body doesn't need as much. The first several weeks I was so hungry I was convinced I was killing myself through slow starvation. I'm doing much better now :wink:
  • lacy8
    lacy8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP 3 weeks ago it set my calorie goal at 1200 but I am thinking I need more too. Of course starting out I put that I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week (doesn't everyone?), but compared to the amount of activity that I am doing and the calories I eat I am not seeing the results I think I should. I think a slight adjust in calories would help me personally.

Hope you get things adjusted so you can be on your way to obtaining your goals!
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to lose 0.5 lb a week, and MFP gives me 1270 cal a day. My estimated BMR is: 1,220 calories/day*
    I am 5`0 142 lbs 45 years old, so I have no choice but stick to the magic 1200 cal.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was just wondering... does anyone go by the 1200 calories that MFP suggests?? It seems a little low to me. Just wondering if any of you adjusted your daily calorie goal or went by the 1200?

Thanks for any input :0)

I am on 1200 calories per day, it suits me and works for me.

Some people can't stand it, others do well on it. Find what works for you and stick with it,
  • sammi_j
    sammi_j Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 & try to burn 400. I find I need to eat at least 1600 or I don't lose weight
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    I am 38, 5'10", and 161 pounds. MFP set me at 1200 calories when I started, but I raised it to 1500, which is my BMR according to their calculator. I eat back some but definitely not all of my exercise calories. Time will tell how well this will work for me! I am not technically overweight by BMI, but feel better around 145, so I am aiming to get closer to that and build some muscle. Building muscle on 1200 calories is practically impossible, so I am settling for a slower approach to achieving my goals.
  • smylegirl
    smylegirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have it set to 1240 (? not sure why it's not 1200), but I rarely eat that little. My Fitbit adds "exercise" calories to the total (even if it's not "official" exercise), so I usually end up eating somewhere in between 1240 and whatever the recalculated total is.

When I had it set to 1510, and the Fitbit added exercise calories, I would end up eating too much. So I probably am eating closer to 1510 now than I was before (although I try not to eat as many as 1510). Today was around 1400, but I worked out too (I probably should have eaten more today, but I overindulged this weekend).

When I eat closer to 1240, I'm pretty much hungry the entire day, and generally not too happy either. Losing weight by eating 1200 calories a day definitely depends on both your metabolism and your mindset, and neither of mine are geared to doing that. And I'm OK with that.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I think it's really important to differentiate between eating 1200 vs netting 1200 calories. My BMR is only 1100 kcal so netting 1200 calories is fine. With working out I end up eating around 1400-1600 calories a day even though MFP has me set to NET 1200 a day.
  • BriHealthy150
    BriHealthy150 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 net calories a day. There are definitely days that I go over, but I try to keep those days to a minimum. I try not to deprive myself. If I'm truly hungry and not just bored, then I will go over, but it took a long time to learn the difference. Good luck!

same with me!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I would starve at 1200. MFP sets me at 2000 calories a day for weight loss, and if I have done Insanity that day, I usually gross almost 3000.
  • KristalBryenton1
    KristalBryenton1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200 set cals per day. Even before joining MFP I had myself on a 1200 plan. I do fairly well with this, but in my case I get bumped up to 1400-1600 by MFP due to the Exercise I do. On days that I can go over my set limit I usually don't, I feel too sluggish if I go over what I am use to, and If I do go over its only by a little. Today I took advantage of it :blushing:
    It was rough to begin with only the 1200, but eventually you get use to it. or at least I did. Good luck :)
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    mine starts off with the 1200 calories per day and then by the time i have logged my exercises for the day it tells me i can have anywhere between 1700 and 2000 calories a day i am flat out getting to the 1200 a day
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 but in the beginning of the year I started increasing my calories little by little. I am now up to 1400.