Prepping for a 10K Trail Run

Options
I'm definitely not a hardcore trail runner. I'd describe myself more as "someone who likes to run in the woods." However, trail running is so much more appealing to me than road running. I'd like to sign up for a 10K trail run in early November. (http://www.lgnc10k.com/ ) Background: my fitness level is good, I'm not overweight. I run (jog?) about a 10 minute mile. So yeah, I'm nothing special, but I'm far from out of shape.

This particular 10K contains the warning: "Be advised that sections of the course are technical, rocky and steep." I have an idea what that means and I know that I certainly *can* finish it. But I'd just like to ask any seasoned trail runners what I might do between now and then to improve my performance? Obviously continue to run, but might there be anything that I should consider when either training or actually running the race? This would be my absolutely first one, so even if there are pieces of etiquette or any general advice at all that you have, I will take it.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How big is the event, and how popular is the trail you'll be on? Here, in the PNW and near Seattle, there's some conflict between hikers and trail runners. As far as etiquette goes, try to be polite, and remember that the hiker in front of you might have earbuds in, or be in their own world, so try not to startle them if they don't seem to hear you.

Rocky and rooty trails are awful. We have a nickname for them but I can't say it here. You're going to have to slow down a lot through these sections, maybe walk. Most of your attention will have to be on the ground where you're about to set your foot. You don't want to break your ankle. Steep will also slow you down.

I've heard that a lot of trail running involves a lot of walking. (Same is true for mountain biking in the mountains.)
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Yes this trail is in the vicinity of a section of the Appalachian Trail. The AT in Pennsylvania is beyond rocky. Hikers call it "the place where boots go to die" hahaha. I've hiked pieces of it and you can hardly even look up; you just plan where your next step can be placed.

Thanks for the input!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    All of my races are trail, although manly HM, marathon and ultra distances.

The main thing is to train on the type of territory that you're racing on. Making progress on a technical route is about thinking three or four paces ahead and planning your footplant. If you're less confident then just slow down and walk.

Same principle for climbing, a lot of that is about glute strength, so hill repeats will make a difference to your preparation.

As far as etiquette is concerned, the main thing is not blocking the trail if someone gains on you. Let people past if you need to.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I ran my first trail race, a Ragnar, last November. To give you a little background, I'm a road runner and I've been running since 2011, ran my first half marathon in 2012, and many races up to that length since. My fastest 5K in just under 30 minutes and I run a 10K in just over an hour so at about the same pace as you.

The Ragnar run had three different trails at three different levels. You're expected to run all three within a 24 hour period, every 8 hours or so. I live in Arizona and this race was in the desert so very rocky, very hilly and lots of cactus and creosote bushes right at the edge of the narrow trail. These trails are used by bikers, hikers and horses. The hardest was considered a very technical trail and it definitely had places where you needed to pick your way down steep hills and walk up others.

My training for the trail aspects of this race consisted of running on the dirt roads near my house. That's it. I figured without actually driving 3 hours to the park where it was being held I would have no way to know exactly what those trails would be like. Some of the people on my team live in the Phoenix area and did go run some of those trails over several weekends leading up to the race. One guy had a Go Pro so he shot video of some of them so I could see what they actually looked like. My sister and another team mate ended up getting injured on that very technical trail two weekends before the race and it ended up that my sister couldn't run the race because her ankle was too badly twisted. The other woman's injury wasn't as bad and she did run the race with us. On race weekend, I ended up running all three trails without getting hurt or falling (3 of the others fell at least once but no serious injuries) and had what I consider really good times especially considering the terrain, the temperatures and that I was running some of it in the dark. The very technical 4.75 mile trail took me just under an hour and it was close to 80F when I started it mid-day. The "easy" trail was 4.1 miles and not that easy. I ran that one near midnight and finished in 48 minutes. The 6.6 mile hard trail had a lot of uphill climbing and clung to the side of a steep drop for quite awhile then ran through some dry riverbeds which were deep sand. I started that one just before dawn and finished it in 1:18.

I'm not saying you shouldn't find trails to practice on, my point is that it's not necessary to go crazy trying to train for your first one and there's always a chance of getting injured on trails. I think I enjoyed it more because the trails were all new to me including some very pretty scenery. Trail running wasn't something I'd ever wanted to do but now that I've done one I'd be happy to do it again.

As far as etiquette during the race, I got passed a lot, but also did some passing. People will usually yell out "On your left" as they're approaching from behind and you'll just want to step to the right to let them by. During my race that often involved my actually stopping or slowing way down because the trails were narrow and I really didn't want to be picking cactus thorns out of my legs or risk falling over the side. :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like already said, spend time on trails, develop a comfort level with being able to traverse them quickly or at least give way to other runners. Many time I will come behind people at the top of a steep section, unsure how to go down. I'm from PA and know the kind of rocks we have in the central part. I have a 25 miler in just over a week.
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'll just reiterate what others have said: if you want to improve your trail running, go trail running. I would say that if your race location is nearby, go run/hike the exact route ahead of time. No rules against it, and you'll know exactly what to expect come race day.

I've only done one trail race, but trail running is my favorite running. There is plenty of walking involved; I think I average 12-14-minute miles going uphill. I always get down on myself for my slow times, but my trail partner always reminds me that "... miles count, pace doesn't" Take your time, be wary (but not afraid/intimidated) and most of all, HAVE FUN!! :p:)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Road miles are completely different than trail miles. Whatever road pace you have, you can forget that on the trails. If you aren't used to running trails, it will make you feel like you are out of shape.

Start doing the majority of your runs on the trails. Don't try and go fast. Keep it slow and steady to start. You will be using muscles in a different way than road running. More than likely, you will be a little sore in the gluten, quads, and calves the next day.

Get used to looking down as you run. You have to be very mindful of where you are stepping and your center of mass, lest you find yourself face down on the trail.

Depending on the type of trail and time of year, you may need to get some trail running shoes, which can give you better traction and support against the roots and rocks, versus road shoes.