Non-scale goals and rewards

Options
I'm trying to come up with a list of non-scale goals for myself, I'm thinking maybe reaching certain weights in my workouts, fitting certain clothing items that I have, being able to do specific exercises like chin ups or a head stand.

I'm also trying to come up with a list of non-food rewards for reaching the non-scale goals, ideally cheap or free, so this one is not easy!

Basically looking for inspiration so please share any non-scale goals you have and any rewards you have lined up for yourself!

Replies

• delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Def the clothing I'd say. I never really go by weight. I think if your clothes fit comfortably an you feel happy. Your on. Winner !!
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well, this could be a two for one deal: how about rewarding yourself with smaller clothes as you lose the inches? With this you are rewarding your loss and your non scale goals.

You can enter marathons throughout your journey. Buy a book, go bike riding somewhere new, visit a friend or family member you haven't seen in ages, pick up a new hobby. I bought a new specialty yarn every 10 pounds. Every 20 I got a skirt or shirt. My hubby painted the bathroom when I lost my first 55 lbs. how about going to the movies? Or have a movie get together at your house so you can monitor the snacks better and prepare healthier choices.

It is so hard in America to find rewards that are not food related. Every holiday is food. Every summer get together more food. Birthdays, anniversaries food. So I understand your dilemma. It depends on your interest and what is available to you.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There's some good ideas there :smile:

The problem with most rewards that would work for me is that they cost money and I don't have much of that!

Just thought of a great goal, something I was aiming for anyway, but not confident in my ability to do: do not weigh myself more frequently than every 30 days. I suppose it is a scale goal in a way! Writing it down as a goal and having a reward lined up will help me stick to that :) I don't want to focus on weight but I know from past experience it's easy to end up obsessing over it!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I did this same thing when I started lifting! I would make strength goals and if I reached them by a set time, I would get rewarded. I was prepping for vacation so my rewards included bikinis, that pair of sandals I really wanted, sunglasses, etc. It worked really well and gave the encouragement that I was needing. Now I'm probably going to reward myself with a fitness class I've been wanting to try or a trip to Philly for the day.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Every fall I buy me a trench coat.

I tell myself beginning June that in 2 months I will shape up for the best of trench coats. And it has motivated me every year.

After fall, I get into a little foodie fattie mode starting from the halloween/thanksgiving timeframe. I don't know why the *kitten* people stock up on candy and pies and put it out like *kitten*. Every thanksgiving season I gain 3 to 5 pounds.

Don't we all?! Consider it "bulking" season
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I tell myself beginning June that in 2 months I will shape up for the best of trench coats. And it has motivated me every year.

After fall, I get into a little foodie fattie mode starting from the halloween/thanksgiving timeframe. I don't know why the *kitten* people stock up on candy and pies and put it out like *kitten*. Every thanksgiving season I gain 3 to 5 pounds.

Don't we all?! Consider it "bulking" season

I hit the weights hard and hope to add a little muscle along with the fat. :smile: Of course, running season is just getting into swing around then, too, so increasing mileage means I can eat more. Win-win!

Larcher91 wrote: »
    There's some good ideas there :smile:

The problem with most rewards that would work for me is that they cost money and I don't have much of that!

Just thought of a great goal, something I was aiming for anyway, but not confident in my ability to do: do not weigh myself more frequently than every 30 days. I suppose it is a scale goal in a way! Writing it down as a goal and having a reward lined up will help me stick to that :) I don't want to focus on weight but I know from past experience it's easy to end up obsessing over it!

I don't know that weighing that seldom is necessarily a good goal. All's fine as long as you're losing but if you're not being careful you can do a lot of damage in a month. The sooner you catch upward trends, the sooner you can reverse them.

As far as goals go, though, weight lifting goals or performance goals in anything you do are always good. Number of pushups without stopping or within a certain time frame, how long you can hold a plank, etc. If there's an activity you've thought of trying but are afraid to, that could be a goal, too. It took me a long time to get into the gym because I was afraid of looking like a total n00b, for example.

Rewards that don't cost money are a little more difficult. You might try saving up for something special, though. I stick my change in a jar and buy an Amazon gift card for myself when I reach a certain amount. I can then spend that money however I want. I also pick up spare change when I run around my neighborhood and add it to the jar. You'd be surprised how much I find! 11 cents today, alone. 2 cents on Monday. It all adds up! Perhaps you could put a quarter in a jar every day you can do more pushups than the day before or beat another personal best.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've found great clothes at Goodwill for very low cost, $2-$5 for many pieces, up to $10 for nicer ones. Free rewards could include a day at the beach/pool, visit to a nearby park or walk in a favorite spot, watch a special TV show or movie, calling a friend you don't talk to often, whatever you like to do.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Why am I not surprised you wear a trench coat?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thought of one... you can rent audio books for free from your public library and find free ones from Amazon and other sites. Only allow yourself to listen to the books while you're walking or working out.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    This is really good to see! :)
    There is so much more to this than the number on the scale.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Maintaining my fitness level is more important to me than the number on the scale.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes! Aside from lowering body fat %, I have really come to enjoy setting more performance based goals. Some of mine have been:
    - how fast I can run a mile
    - how fast i can two miles
    - 5k time
    - how far I can run
    - how long I can run
    - how high I can get my wattage number on a water rower
    - how long I can hold a plank
    - how many pushups in a minute
    - trying to do a split (or get closer!!)/improve flexibility
    - improve balance
    - lift a heavier weight for different strength exercises

These have been fun because some of them I never even had a baseline before. Once I had a starting point, it's been fun to pick a goal and challenge myself if i can beat it. It's neat to see a progression over time. These days I always try to set a little goal in my head before each workout.

It's funny, sometimes when I run, I won't beat my best mile time, so then I stubbornly think, FINE, I will try for my best distance instead. I think once I started setting little personal goals and bests, I truly stopped paying attention to what anyone else was doing. While I always like having that rabbit to chase, that person who is going to push me to be better and work harder, it really is just about competing with myself and trying to get better than I was before.

Non-food rewards...hmm free is hard, but these are my non-food ones -
    - lululemon tops and speed shorts
    - new sneakers
    - or something less expensive, like just a new pair of workout socks or headband
    - foam roller
    - download new songs for my workout playlists
    - massage
    - mani/pedi
    - download a book on amazon
    - something new I use in the kitchen to meal prep, like a vegetti, a ninja, foreman grill, etc.
    - new spices and seasonings to cook with, specialty infused olive oils or vinegars - simple new things I will enjoy trying and cooking healthy meals with
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are both trying to lose weight, so we have a pants hanger on the wall that holds a pair of pants he wants to fit into, and a pair of shorts I want to fit into. They're very nearly our size, so it's a matter of 5-10ish pounds each until we can comfortably wear them. Maybe try something like that?

Also, cheap things to do? If you have a Kohl's credit card or someone you can get coupons from, their "gold star" sales on their clearance racks are wonderful! It's how I got those shorts.. they were $4 and sooo cute. Goodwill is a lot of fun, too! And don't overlook Dollar Tree. If you take $2 and some change and go get yourself 2 things.. you'd be surprised how much sipping coffee out of a new cute mug, or wearing some new fuzzy socks, could lift your mood! Also, you could make yourself a nice meal? If you're on the same sort of budget I am, buying ingredients for just one meal is a thing that happens once in a blue moon. Maybe spend $5 or $6 on some steak and enjoy the heck outta it!

I've also seen people put beads in a jar and move one bead over to a second jar for every milestone they hit, be it every push-up they can do, crunch, pound they can lift, pound they've lost, etc! That one could be fun.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :smile:

I have a nice long list of goals now, all exercise and strength related.

As for rewards, what I've decided to do is assign each goal with a cash reward from £1 to £15 depending on how hard I think it'll be to achieve. Every week I do my complete exercise regime is also worth £5. All the money will go in to a jar towards a holiday next summer, the more I goals I achieve the nicer or longer the trip I can take :smiley: