No pain no gain

Options
No pain no gain? Is this really true in terms of excerise ?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    no unless you intend on visiting snap city
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't believe so, no.

In terms of cardio, if you reach the point where there's actually pain you've gone too far into injury. Now there might be some muscle aches after lifting but they most certainly shouldn't be extreme. I have had good results lifting without any pain at all. OK, there is a little after the first two sessions or so where your muscles are just trying to figure out why you suddenly want them to do so much. :smile: But beyond that, none.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Not really - I've never liked this phrase at all. I think, to be effective, exercise should be challenging, and sometimes that challenge will not feel good. But actual "pain"? Eh. I guess there are people with a low pain tolerance that will call a good workout "painful" but for most of us, pushing to "pain" is probably asking for injury.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    delboy604 wrote: »
    No pain no gain? Is this really true in terms of excerise ?

No
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm asking as I suffer from shin splints when walking. I know I gotta excerise but they can be brutal at times
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed or assumed?

Build up your muscles

Try bodyweight exercises first

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    When it comes to Legs I always have Pain after every workout its just the nature of heavy squats and lunges. I don't think it has anything to do with gains however or my legs would be 40"
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm asking as I suffer from shin splints when walking. I know I gotta excerise but they can be brutal at times

That's not a good kind of pain. It can lead to shin fractures, in extreme cases. More on that here:
    drjordanmetzl.com/portfolio-item/shin-splints-rw-video/

Try stretching your calves hourly, and switch to a "zero heel" shoe, like Vans, skateboard shoes, etc. :+1:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Shin splints aren't something to work through. You can do serious damage. Have you had a medical professional take a look at them? There are certain things that can cause them and you can compensate for them, too, if you know the cause. First of all, though, I'd stop walking. Rest, for certain, and ice and stretching can help.

Where are you walking? A treadmill can cause shin splints if you don't have an incline set, for example. Raising the incline to 2% will help.

How much are you walking now vs. before? Greatly increasing distances at once can cause shin problems. Runners are advised to not increase distance more than 10% week over week for this reason.

Are your shoes worn out or new? Shoes with a bad wear pattern can cause problems. If you bought new shoes specifically to walk in they might be the problem, too.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Two pains, only one gains:

Lifting to failure is not comfortable. Sprinting stairs isn't comfortable. A deep burn is not comfortable. That's pain that leads to gain.

Pulling a muscle (or running through shin splints) and continuing is not a pain that leads to gain. It leads to sadness, fear and muscle mayo.

As for that shin splint, as noted above- if it's a pro diagnosis, the pro will give you recovery protocol. But generally, running on it isn't advised.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    No pain no game is pure BS. You'll experience two types of pain the bad pain when it hurts when you push yourself too much and you have an injury. The other kind of pain is the good pain it's just muscle fatigue that goes away. The tough part is you have to figure out the difference for yourself
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what a person thinks pain is.

Cardio - if you ain't huffing and puffing and sweating, you ain't doing it right.

muscular - if you ain't doing 3 sets and breaking down both muscle fibers, you ain't doing it right.

So if you think that's pain, then yes. No pain no gain.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't think the phrase is meant to be quite that literal. "Pain" in the context of this phrase means pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone.

Shin splints can be painful and are not something you should have to push through. Things that can help are making sure you have good shoes, walking on soft surfaces (pavement over concrete, if possible. Compact, even dirt surface is even better), allowing for adequate recovery between walks, stretching and body weight exercises and icing.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don't train past a two on my own personal pain scale.

Now, setting up and executing a max effort single isn't a comfortable process. But discomfort does not equal pain.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I don't think the phrase is meant to be quite that literal. "Pain" in the context of this phrase means pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone.

Shin splints can be painful and are not something you should have to push through. Things that can help are making sure you have good shoes, walking on soft surfaces (pavement over concrete, if possible. Compact, even dirt surface is even better), allowing for adequate recovery between walks, stretching and body weight exercises and icing.

This is how I've understood it, too.

Agreed with the second part too. Go see a doctor.

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Shin pain isn't always shin splints, and can be caused by several different things.

the wrong shoes
    not warming up
    starting at too fast a pace and not ramping up to it
    not recovering enough
    slap foot (heel hits the ground and forefoot slaps on the ground)

and probably a few other things.
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks one and all!!!!
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I prefer "if it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you"