healthy bmi before workout?

Options
First let me say I'm using the bmi because I'm not active so there really isn't anything to skew it right now. I'm 5'3 and 162 and am doing my journey at a slower pace so I don't burn out. Because of my body type when I work out I tend to bulk up pretty quickly ( even cardio) and I want to slim down as much as I can. Of course I'm trying be more active in my day to day life, but I was thinking I should stick with diet until I'm in a healthy weight (about 140) before I really start hitting the gym. Especially since my body doesn't do well with high intensity cardio. Do you think it would help slim my body down?

Replies

• BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well the problem is I'm curvy with chub and when I workout I don't seem to slim it just tones (if that makes sense) so I look the same size just muscly. You are saying that will go away? Is there any indication for how long? Sorry I've never heard about this before.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you are eating below maintenance you can't actually add muscle, only water that makes you swell initially.

For me I typically gain 4-5lbs the first few weeks of a new work out but then it falls off and I appear slimmer and more toned.
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    Thanks for telling me about this! It really put my mind at ease. I'm still going to wait a bit before truly working out, but probably not as long
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Working out will give you the best results, particularly strength training, as it will help you preserve the muscle you do have.

It's pretty much an impossibility you're bulking, far more likely to be losing muscle as you lose weight. How much depends on a few things such as aforementioned strength training, deficit size and protein intake.
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    I know it's silly for women to think they are going to bulk up into these masculine bodies without trying, my fear was keeping my CURRENT body size but with muscle instead of fat. It just didn't seem silly to me since I'm already this size if that makes any sense. lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well the problem is I'm curvy with chub and when I workout I don't seem to slim it just tones (if that makes sense) so I look the same size just muscly. You are saying that will go away? Is there any indication for how long? Sorry I've never heard about this before.

OP, "how long" varies from person to person. When I started lifting, I had a three pound gain over the first calendar month, a three pound loss the next month, and then after that started losing weight. That was all at the same calorie level. Shape/physique-wise, I looked much better after the second month even though I was at the same weight as when I started lifting. Just stick it out and you'll be fine.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    That is one thing to be prepared for, if you are new to lifting be prepared for the scale to go up at first due to the added water retention.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    How long the water stays with you depends on the intensity of the workouts and how they progress. You retain water when you do something more intense than you are used to, and it stays until the muscles have adapted, usually I few days. Every time you increase intensity, the water will come back and stay a few days. But it will never be more than a few pounds and will not stop your weight loss. It's just part of natural fluctuation. It doesn't only happen with strength training - I've had it from hiking and biking too, about 6lb weight increase that lasted 3 or 4 days.

It's not worth trying to avoid this. It is part of how your body works. What you need to do is concentrate on losing fat and ignore the water, it will always come and go.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Like @Aaron_K123 said, muscle is denser than fat, so an equivalent number of pounds of muscle will occupy far less space than the same amount of fat. So you will absolutely not stay the same volume (size) you are now as you lose weight, no matter how much muscle you gain (which you're not really going to do on a deficit, you'll just show your muscles easier).
    Of course I want to look better and feel better. I always feel tired, winded, lazy, etc. I also have horrible periods that cause terrible pain

I read this on your profile. Here's what I can tell you. Working out will help you gain stamina. I guarantee that you will feel less tired, winded, and lazy if you consistently engage in physical activity of some sort. It doesn't have to be in a gym. You do not have to run on a treadmill or lift weights. High intensity cardio is absolutely not required to reap the health benefits of getting exercise.

Things you can try:
    • dancing (join a bellydance class! seriously, its fun! or try Zumba out, or ballroom, or swing.. or anything)
    • walking (great workout, even better if you can find somewhere interesting to walk)
    • hiking (see walking, only even more awesome)
    • swimming (wicks the sweat away, makes this more bearable. If you have breathing problems I suggest a cooler pool)
    • go bowling
    • play wii fitness or some other fitness game

If you're getting seriously winded, you may want to have your breathing checked at your doctor's or pharmacist's; you may have asthma. Untreated, it can be a serious impediment to fitness, but it's fairly easily controlled for most people.

As far as the periods go, they say that dysmenorrhea is made worse by excess fat. I can't say if this is fully true or not; I still pretty much want to curl up and die every month, but I can attest that getting some exercise has at least helped DISTRACT me from the pain. Curling up never made it go away, and neither does walking but at least I'm not just laying there obsessing about the cramps when I'm out for a walk. The increased blood flow to the uterus might be helping too, I don't know.

The body pressures on women can be slightly insane. I've known my muscles were considered "unfeminine" since my early teen years when I was informed that I had the "legs of a linebacker" and "shoulder muscles like Arnold." I am unfortunately still self-conscious about these traits. These kind of tossaway comments tend to hold much more weight with women (like me!) than they ought to.

Look at them trapezoids.. to a bodybuilder, this is.. absolutely nothing. Ridiculous to be worried about. To tenth-grade me, it was humiliation in the extreme. However, to 38-year-old me, its nice to see them re-emerge from under all the fat.

u8uj9ro6n8pz.jpg
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    And I was so proud on my little arm muscles - are you telling me that's just water? Noooooo :'(

Mine look kinda similar to yours @tomteboda and I love it. I'm not lifting, but use the free weights during HIIT/circuit training.

I can't understand why women are afraid of muscly arms, I love the look of that.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    @tomteboda Wow those arms! I've had my breathing checked out and even an EKG and all that done because I do get winded easily and pass out more often than I guess is normal. Everything appeared perfectly healthy. He said it's most likely a condition (I forget the name) where when my body or mind is too stressed my veins pumping blood will actually shrink so that I'm not getting enough oxygen to my body. I do get stressed very easily and when I was younger I would always get sleepy when I was stressed and could easily sleep 12 hours a day. As far as period go I haven't gotten it checked yet but I've been told it sounds like endometriosis.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Your genetic predisposition is your genetic predisposition--whether you start working out now or wait until you've lost your weight, the end result will be pretty much the same, but you'll probably get there sooner if you start working out now.

Growing up I was never thrilled with my musculature either--I wanted long and lean like a dancer; alas I build bulkier muscles, too. At my age I've decided to embrace it as I would rather be bad**kitten* and built than flabby.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    And I was so proud on my little arm muscles - are you telling me that's just water? Noooooo :'(

Your muscles are getting stronger and more developed as you work them. It doesn't follow that they're getting significantly heavier. The difference you see on the scale is mostly water. The difference you see in the mirror is strength.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    No offense OP but I really don't understand this fear I see on here often mostly from women that one is going to accidentally build up so much additional muscle mass as to be aesthetically displeasing.

Many many years ago I was told by several people that my thighs were really muscular. In my early 20's I went to the gym and did the circuit machines and some cardio. The comments always stuck in my head and I thought I had better be careful to not have bulky thighs. It certainly is irrational but there is usually a reason behind this fear.

Of course now in my 40's I just wish I had those muscular thighs again! :wink:

@BrokeBirkin Don't wait to work out! Lift weights while you are losing the weight. Preserve the muscle you have. When you are done losing weight will have a smoking hot body!