A little goes a long way

Options
I was at a housewarming with several friends yesterday, and one of my tennis buddies asked about my recent weight loss. I am down about 32 pounds from April. In the course of describing the diet and exercise process, he said that he could never give up the things he really liked. That comment caused me to pause and think about the reality of losing weight.

This person is an excellent athlete, who plays tennis and baseball several times a week. He's fast, and very well coordinated and has participated in sports his whole life. But his first reaction (which I think is similar to many peoples' reaction) is to say "Oh that's not for me", or "I couldn’t live without (Fill in the blank)".

I didn't respond then, but we were eating our barbecue later, and he brought up the discussion again. He probably has added 20 pounds over the last 20 years since I have known him. After discussing several things in his diet that he chooses, I told him something that I think hit home.

I said, "Carlos, the difference between gaining and losing 10 pounds over the next year is a piece of bread."

He looked at me with a question in his eyes.

I continued, "A piece of bread is about 100 calories (yes, most are less and some are a lot more but it's a good example). If you were to cut that one piece of bread out of your diet, and continued that way over the entire year, you would lose 36500 calories, or about 10.5 pounds." No cutting out the milk he loves, or the chips or the kool-aid or anything else.

Something clicked for him. Rather than the resistance, I now heard a real enthusiasm and (maybe) excitement about the process. He could see himself doing something that he previously couldn't see himself doing. Weight loss is as much about vision as it is about calories. If we can see it, we can achieve it. When it's unclear or distant, it's difficult and we struggle. But when we make it something we do can do today, we can embrace it.

I know there are a lot of other things involved. I really am sold on measuring my intake, because it lets me know where I am. I think eating food that I enjoy helps me stay on track. Exercise, and more importantly exercise that I enjoy, is critical to the entire process, But the most important organ for weight loss is the brain, and our ability to accomplish the one thing in front of us that day.

It's easy to become discouraged. Let me encourage you. I don't know how much you have to lose. I don't know where you have been or what hurdles you've been through to arrive where you are. But I will tell you that you can cut one slice of bread out of your day. Weight control is a game of a few inches over lots and lots of days. I gained my weight over the last 12 years by eating an extra 24 calories a day. I was lucky enough to eliminate that in a short period, but the good news is that the future looks different when I know the landscape.

As people, we can beat ourselves up about our condition, but in almost every case our present condition is a function of a tiny amount over a long period of time. Reversing that trend starts with the decision you're already considering by being here. Blessings to you.

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Well said...This has given me more inspiration to lose my last 10-12 pounds...I have been struggling for last 2 months..Thank you..
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Very well said!
  • Chemburly12
    Options

I said, "Carlos, the difference between gaining and losing 10 pounds over the next year is a piece of bread."

He looked at me with a question in his eyes.

I continued, "A piece of bread is about 100 calories (yes, most are less and some are a lot more but it's a good example). If you were to cut that one piece of bread out of your diet, and continued that way over the entire year, you would lose 36500 calories, or about 10.5 pounds." No cutting out the milk he loves, or the chips or the kool-aid or anything else.

I sent this to my sister. She's had a similar attitude toward my weight loss that your friend initially had toward yours, that it just wasn't worth giving certain things up. But a piece of bread, anyone can do that.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    That was very well put! It is really true, and the biggest part of the struggle with weight loss in in your head. When your realize that even small changes make a difference, I think it makes it easier!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Incredible, isn't it once we get our heads wrapped around what it really is that we need to do? I for one have let myself be overwhelmed by the enormity of whatever goal I had in front of me, whether it be getting into college, obtaining my architect's license, or losing those nagging 10 lbs. But it's exactly like you say, break it down into manageable steps. That is the way to true change.

Well said. Thank you for the enlightening message. :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true..... Simple things like cutting that sugar out of your coffee/tea every morning
    Instead of full fat starbucks/lattee.... Make is skinny and small
    Not going through the biscuit tin in the afternoon... that bar of chocolate everyday

The lady at the gym said to me, small changes, make big differences, and I cut out certain things.... And wow... I managed to lose weight.... Its not rocket science..!!

Well done on your weight loss!