Do you count your vegetables?

Options
Wondering what is everyone's take on this. I understand to track vegetables like potatoes, corn etc...but how about zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce etc...Thanks!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Fruit, veggies ... everything. :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    is this a joke? lol
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! I had a big salad yesterday. Two romain lettuce hearts were 80 calories. One would like to think a lot of these veggies have virtually no calories, but they do.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes! Reasons:
    - I track fiber & some micronutrients, so I want "credit" for what's in that zucchini.
    - I have a small deficit, so small margin of error. And yes, I can eat enough vegetables to blow my deficit. :D
    - I'm kind of a data geek & my data means nothing if it excludes something I eat a lot of.

Friends were triathlon training, and their nutritionist told them not to count onions, garlic, celery, things used in quantities to season, but they still counted vegetables eaten as part of a meal, and they had gobs of cardio. FWIW
  • Gozomalta28
    Gozomalta28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone!
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've stopped tracking ginger and garlic because I don't usually eat more than 10-ish calories worth of each in a day, but everything else gets tracked to make sure I'm staying in a healthy calorie range (high or low). I'll likely ease up once I've been at my maintenance range for a while, but for now I've got too much more to lose to be monkeying around.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wondering what is everyone's take on this. I understand to track vegetables like potatoes, corn etc...but how about zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce etc...Thanks!

There are programs that give you "free" or "unlimited" veggies, Weight Watcher's comes to mind. Only the veggies are not really free. These "free" items are built into the initial calorie allotment.

MFP (My Fitness Pal) gives you calories before exercise.....not calories before veggies.

Like @Keladelphia ......I don't measure lettuce, celery or cucumbers very carefully.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    I count everything that has calories. Even if there are very few. Like some of the others I'm not always as precise about weighing veggies like lettuce, cucumbers, etc.
  • Lulaica
    Lulaica Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm not super accurate when measuring fruits and veggies (I'm working on it), but I do need to long them since I can literally eat enough to cause an impact. This is especially true with carrots and tomatoes (I've been known to eat too many tomatoes, to the point where the acid makes the inside of my mouth pretty sensitive).
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'll count and log them but to be honest I don't weigh things like leaf greens that are super low in calories. I generally overestimate them though (ex. four cups of spinach when I probably ate closer to two).

I don't weigh things like romaine either.
    But I weigh and count everything in my diary.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I certainly do log them, but like others have said, I don't weigh low calorie veg like lettuce or cukes. I mean really, for me, eyeballing a handful of lettuce is two cups is fine IMO.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your body counts those calories even if you don't log them. I don't see the point of logging anything if you're not logging everything.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yes, of course
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're counting calories, then yes, you'd count those too.