Sodium

Options
Should I even be worried about sodium? I've heard things recently that it is not as bad as we once thought (at least as far as causing high blood pressure), and I know that it is an important electrolyte. Is it worth tracking?

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a documented medical issue where you are sensitive to sodium, then I wouldn't bother.

Even the CDC in the US is now acknowledging that the whole 'sodium is evil' movement was bad science.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would track it mate. When I have heavy sodium days I keep weight for a few days after at least. MFP allows for a lot of it (and you do need a lot of it).
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sodium is worth tracking, whether you have blood pressure problems or not. Too much of it will cause you to retain water, which elevates your weight. Even for those who have no sodium "issues" a very salty meal can cause you to retain water for several days. Water weight isn't the same as fat, but it is frustrating when you want the scale to move.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    One reason it's useful to track is that it can help explain scale fluctuations. Beyond that, I think it's not very important unless you have a diagnosed medical issue (and like you said, recent studies have said salt is less important than previously thought for those conditions).
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm not really concerned about water weight. I weigh myself each morning and understand that the scale will move. I have high sodium days and lower sodium days. I think they even out pretty well. It's good to know, as it seems is the consensus, that other than water weight I don't really need to worry about my high sodium days.
    Thanks for the input!
  • wsulifter
    wsulifter Posts: 2
    Options
    Yep they're right sodium isn't really worth tracking unless you have a medical issue warranting it. Much better to track fiber and trans fat for health reasons. Keep it up!
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking about this earlier today, because most days I tend to go over. I prefer to keep it on the low end but on days I am high, I try to drink extra water.
  • DestinyShlagel
    Options
    it all depends on the amount you consume , that will depend on deciding if you want to track it. Sodium retains water which is bad when trying to lose weight.!!!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I guess I am confused why there is not a need to track sodium. The news station here just did a segment on this last night and stated there are studies linking the salty snacks and other high sodium snacks to high blood pressure in children and that it is a major concern and a rising epedimic. Granted they also stated that the obesity and inactivity was also a cause, but they specifically mention sodium in their study.