How to eat artichoke?

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
First things first: this is for a friend! I promise. I am not replacing my Pop-tart ice cream sandwiches with vegetables.

That being said, "a friend" has identified artichokes as a great food for helping her meet her somewhat unique nutrition goals. I'm the cook and I don't think I've ever touched an artichoke. I'd have no idea what to do with one.

I suppose you can find artichoke hearts or pieces or something frozen and canned. So what's a good tasty way to prepare them that doesn't add many calories? Can you just buy them frozen and steam them, or bake them or something? Are they expensive? It figures that the other veggie she loves the most is asparagus, and frozen asparagus is about 3 times more expensive than all the other frozen veggies.

Help me, MFP!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In before someone gets angry about the phrase "somewhat unique."

Yes, I just "in before"ed my own thread. Deal with it.
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a Costco? they have two big jars of marinated artichoke hearts for like 9.00. They are good on a Greek salad with some feta cheese and kalamata olives, in an omelette or as a low cal addition to pizza or even straight out the jar with a fork :laugh:

Trader Joe's has the frozen artichoke hearts that are good as well, pretty inexpensive too....well compared to the asparagus.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You can buy one whole- steam it- pick apart the leaves or prickly parts on the outside- dip them into sauce and the use your teeth to pull the meat off. I like to grill the hearts. (center of the artichoke)

You can also make spinach and artichoke dip. Frozen spinach, fresh garlic, alfredo sauce, chopped up artichoke hearts.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Stuffed artichokes are delicious (your friend can choose what stuffing she wants to use to vary the calorie content and to her tastes - cheese or rice makes a good addition.)

This is a nice recipe:

http://turkishcuisine.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/etli-enginar-dolmasi/

as is this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3296/artichoke-and-lemon-salad

They are fairly expensive in comparison to other veg when fresh. You can also buy them tinned. Not sure about frozen though as I have never purchased them in that form.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    First things first: this is for a friend! I promise. I am not replacing my Pop-tart ice cream sandwiches with vegetables.

That being said, "a friend" has identified artichokes as a great food for helping her meet her somewhat unique nutrition goals. I'm the cook and I don't think I've ever touched an artichoke. I'd have no idea what to do with one.

I suppose you can find artichoke hearts or pieces or something frozen and canned. So what's a good tasty way to prepare them that doesn't add many calories? Can you just buy them frozen and steam them, or bake them or something? Are they expensive? It figures that the other veggie she loves the most is asparagus, and frozen asparagus is about 3 times more expensive than all the other frozen veggies.

Help me, MFP!

Honestly, I just put them in a pot with a tiny bit of water, steam them, and eat them that way. I pull off one leaf at a time, dip it in butter and keep on like that until I get to the center.

You can also cut it in half and grill it and make different sauces (usually mayonnaise or butter based.). Every other way I've eaten them is as a minor part of another dish, like a pasta or dip, and then it was just the hearts.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Steam them and then put some nice cheese that will melt in between the leaves put them in the oven until the cheese is melted and awesome. When you eat you take one leaf out you can bite it with the cheese goodness..

My mom used to make them like that and they were amazing!

I've also tried them grilled with a side dressing, but I had them in a restaurant and I don't know the recipe.. But they were pretty good too.. a lot of people converted into artichoke fans after trying them!
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of artichokes. In our Italian household, growing up, we always had them stuffed....mouth wateringly delicious! I also just steam them, and separate leaves and drizzle with a mixture of Extra Virgin olive oil, melted butter, a lot of minces garlic and parmesan cheese, or you can dip the leaves in any type of flavorful sauce you like, then pull the meat of the leave off with your teeth. The hearts are delicious, and can be bought frozen or jarred. You can add them to a pasta dish, they go great with pasta, warm or cold.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I love artichoke. Some of the ideas listed I will have to try. (Never made homemade artichoke and spinach dip). I have had them steamed before and dipped the leaves in melted butter...not sure what seasoning was in the butter, but a little bit of butter/margarine goes a loooong way.

I personally love to have them on in a salad. I have also had the jarred kind on whole wheat crackers and that's pretty good, too. I have noticed that some jarred kinds taste better than others. I don't remember the brand that I like best, though. I think I have tried the glass jar and the can before, and I preferred the glass jar one? Sorry, I know that's not much help.

You can always ask your friend how they like to eat them. =P
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    steam till you can pull out a random leaf inside then serve with butter and lemon...MMMMMMMMM. Remember to have a good sharp knife so you can cut off all the fuzzy thistles and eat the heart. I also eat the stem because I'm a glutton for atree-chokes.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    These are the instructions I used the first time I prepared artichokes: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke/

I've also tried cleaning them and then standing them up (stem side down) in a pot of hot (not quite boiling) pot of acidulated water until the leaves come off easily. I like this way better, because it gets more lemon-y, but to each their own.

I like them just with a dipping sauce (garlic aoli, sriracha cream cheese). Or I fan out the leaves, scoop out the choke, and stuff them with bacon and a parmesan/cream cheese mixture and broil until the cheese is melty and the leaves get slightly brown. Not veg-friendly though, obviously, but you might even like them that way. :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how low calorie this is, but it is delicious!! Stand them up in a pan and sprinkle between the leaves: grated parmesan, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper, a little oil for the bottom of the pan. OMG, so good! My grandma made these for us all the time and they were THE BEST!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have only ever eaten artichoke as part of a dip...as in spinach-artichoke dip. I like melba toast dipped in it, or any kind of thick cracker.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Always steam them and chow into the whole thing, it's my favorite! I dip the leaves in garlic butter or mayo and it is soooo good.... but if anyone has any lower calorie dipping ideas I am all ears!

They are so so delicious, and a great food for helping me lose weight - very filling, low in calories and high in fiber with lots of great vitamins & minerals.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    First, prep the 'choke. Use a sharp knife and whack off the top of the flower bud (that's what 'chokes are, a big thistle flower). Then use kitchen scissors to snip off the tip of each petal (to get rid of the thorn on each one). Then make sure the base is trimmed of most of the stem. Steam until you can easily remove a petal. The sauce I like to dip them in is mixed brown mustard and greek yogurt or mayo.