Nutrition for Gaining Muscle

Options
So, if I wanted to eat to promote muscle gain, what types of things should I be eating? I am completely new to this and have no idea where to start. Should I be focusing on a certain percentage of carbs, protein and fat? I'm getting ready to turn 50 and realizing I'm losing a lot of my muscle tone I had when I was younger.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. do you know your current body fat % (woman should not run a bulk unless they are in the 18-22% body fat range)
    2. You need a calorie surplus of 250 to 500 calories a day.
    3. you need a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner, strong curves, etc.
    4. macros should be .65 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams; and then fill in rest with carbs and/or as you see fit.
    5. calorie dense foods are your friends like ice cream, oreos, bagels etc; however, make sure that you get adequate nutrition from vegetables, fruits, etc, and then fill in.
    6. If you just want to preserve muscle mass/lose more body fat eat in a small deficit (250 cals); keep protein high, and follow a structured lifting program...
  • JCFan3
    JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I should eat junk food to help me gain muscle. How can that be so when I am trying to lose weight that I should up my calories?
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options

ndj1979 wrote: »
    4. macros should be .65 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams; and then fill in rest with carbs and/or as you see fit.
    I am assuming the .45 grams is for fat per pound of body weight since the rest would be filled in with carbs.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Look around the web, there are calculators out there that will help you gain muscle. I like IIFYM.com's calculator myself. Tinker around with it and see what you come up with. Bodybuilding.com is also another good source of information. Read articles and make your own decision about your macros, then adjust if it doesn't work. There's no set rule unless you want to blindly go by the 1g/lb of lean body mass 'bro' science theory. Which is also fine. Either way you are going to need to increase protein, keep up your fat and eat enough carbs for energy. It's not impossible (some will tell you it is) to gain muscle in a deficit, but it's tough and/or slow.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    JCFan3 wrote: »
    I am so confused. I should eat junk food to help me gain muscle. How can that be so when I am trying to lose weight that I should up my calories?

You can lose weight (reduce calories) and try to minimize lean muscle loss. OR you can increase calories to gain muscle. No, the increase is not weight loss....maintenance perhaps. Unless you are very, very out of shape you won't see muscle gains with weight loss. Even then it's a very small amount.

It's not eat junk food to gain muscle. I see meet protein & fat goals. I see get adequate nutrition. THEN fill in the remaining calories with carbs and calorie dense foods are your friends.

You can eat some "junk" food & lose weight, you can eat some "junk" food & gain muscle......but it has to be nutrition FIRST. You can have treats within your goals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    JCFan3 wrote: »

If you're trying to lose weight, lose weight with a calorie deficit first while lifting to preserve as much muscle as you can while losing weight. Wait until you're at the appropriate body fat percentage then start running a bulk (eating at surplus to gain muscle).

By the way, you can eat so called junk food regardless of losing or gaining weight. It's not about the food type, it is about CALORIES.