Struggling to gain weight.

Options
Hi, at the moment I am underweight. I've always been slim but recently I have been losing weight without meaning to. What could I do to help myself? I do eat but I am trying to eat more..

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    ice cream
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You could take the measured approach by adding 100-150 calories to your calorie intake per week until you see traction in weight gain.

How many calories do you typically eat in a day?

Also, ice cream is first class.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are eating calorie dense foods. Nuts, seeds and nut or seed butters, butter and oils, granola, full-fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese), marbled or darker meats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

That thread is full of high calorie ideas. And instead of just eating, throw in some milk (chocolate if you prefer).
  • linzimalcolm1
    linzimalcolm1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I have the same problem, have been underweight 20 years now ranging from 5 stone to 7 stone. Started last week trying to gain muscle, got weighed today and I've dropped although I ate more last week than I usually do in a month. My doctor often tells me that because I stress out about it, it burns more calories. Keep doing what your doing try not to worry as it is most prob burning more calories. I'm going to try adding more potato, pasta n homemade smoothies made with fresh fruit, milk and ice cream and see if I gain more this week. Good luck, it's so good to see someone else is trying to gain weight rather than loseing it. I guess it's just the same problem at the other end of the spectrum. Also some people have faster metabolism than others, it's maybe that yours is fast which is good you know your body is functioning well. I'm sticking with strength building just now and laying off cardio until I've enough weight on to burn, best wishes linzi x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Using the calorie counter on here daily has really helped me make sure I am getting enough calories. Give it time because it takes a while to see results. Check out the link/list psulemon posted- lots of good ideas there.