Anyone else find success with splitting meals?

Options
I have attempted healthy eating numerous times but seem to fall back into old habits. I did some evaluating and realized I would eat "full" meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner and be hungry about 1-1 1/2 hour after eating causing me to grab "whatever" to eat. This time around I have started splitting my meals in to two courses. For example, lunch will be a ham sandwich with lite mayo, mustard and tomato with a side of green pepper spears. At lunch time I only eat half of the sandwich and half of the green peppers. About 1 - 2 hours later I eat the rest and if I'm hungry later I will eat my snack. Most of the time I'm not hungry for my snack. This seems to be working (so far). Has anyone else done this and what was your experience? Of course I drink a lot of water throughout the day.

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have a ~ 400 calorie smoothie for breakfast. I take a few sips, put it back in the frig, and repeat a half hour or so later. Takes me 4-5 hours to drink it.

I have also split sandwiches in half, especially if I need to leave to go to my OH's or my Mom's and am a little hungry but not a full meal hungry - I'll eat half before I leave and the rest after arrival.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I like to eat smaller amounts more frequently.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! It sounds like you're doing the right thing. :) Like the others who have posted here, I also eat smaller "meals" throughout the day too. I find that mid-morning snacks and mid-afternoon snacks, keep me from going to the vending machine and getting something unhealthy, as well as eating more at dinner, a bigger serving of ice cream at night.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and how often you eat have no bearing on weight loss. Neither does drinking water unless it helps fool your stomach into thinking it's "full".

If you find it's better for you to eat more small meals throughout the day then go for it. I'm, personally, much happier eating 200-300 calories or so at a time 6 to 8 times per day.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Meal timing and how often you eat have no bearing on weight loss. Neither does drinking water unless it helps fool your stomach into thinking it's "full".

If you find it's better for you to eat more small meals throughout the day then go for it. I'm, personally, much happier eating 200-300 calories or so at a time 6 to 8 times per day.

And that would drive me BATTY! I'd never feel full. But, I'm super glad that you and OP are finding methods that work for you. And even happier that meal timing plays no part in weightloss lol!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    JKolb72 wrote: »
    I have attempted healthy eating numerous times but seem to fall back into old habits. I did some evaluating and realized I would eat "full" meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner and be hungry about 1-1 1/2 hour after eating causing me to grab "whatever" to eat. This time around I have started splitting my meals in to two courses. For example, lunch will be a ham sandwich with lite mayo, mustard and tomato with a side of green pepper spears. At lunch time I only eat half of the sandwich and half of the green peppers. About 1 - 2 hours later I eat the rest and if I'm hungry later I will eat my snack. Most of the time I'm not hungry for my snack. This seems to be working (so far). Has anyone else done this and what was your experience? Of course I drink a lot of water throughout the day.

Thanks for any feedback!

This is basically what I do. My day is usually as follows:

7AM - part I of breakfast (protein bar)
    GYM
    10AM - part II of breakfast (protein bar + BCAA's or coffee)
    1PM - part I of lunch (usually tuna, egg, etc.)
    3:30PM - part II of lunch (edamame, yogurt, etc.)
    7:15PM - part I of dinner (meat, veggies, etc.)
    9PM - part II of dinner (protein shake + "treat" or more veggies)
  • JKolb72
    JKolb72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback.