Sit-Stand desk

Options
I work from home. When I am not in the field I am at my desk in my home. For example today I spent the entire day working at my desk. I was at an office store recently and saw a device that would allow me to work at my desk either sitting or standing.

Essentially this is a platform that you put on top of your regular desk. You can then adjust it so you can use your desk either sitting or standing. Most of my work at my desk is on the computer so I could put my monitor and keyboard/mouse on this device which would enable me to sit at the desk and work, or I could raise the work surface and work standing up.

I can get up and move whenever I want so I am not tied to the desk, I do, however sometimes spend my entire day sitting at the computer. The sit/stand desk device is a bit expensive but seems like something I might get a lot of benefit from. When I get tired of sitting I could simply stand and work standing for a while, and then sit when I got tired of standing.

Not sure if any of this makes sense so I'll get to the issue. Is there anyone out there who has a sit/stand desk? If so, would you say it is worth the expense? I am tempted to try it but a quality sit/stand device is about $500. If I knew I would like it I would pop for the expense.

I'm just looking for any feedback from people who have experience with these. Is it worth the money or should I just get up and move around when I am tired of sitting and save my money? I have googled the subject and it seems to be mixed.

Replies

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have used one and think they're great for eliminating the fatigue that comes from sitting so long. 500 seems pretty steep though. Are you handy? You can probably find plans online to make one yourself for a fraction of the price.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The Varidesk gets really good reviews $4-500. I work from home some and am thinking of getting one.
    https://www.amazon.com/Height-Adjustable-Standing-Desk-VARIDESK-Pro/dp/B00BBFXBF4
    I have an adjustable workstation that my employer provided. 1/2 of the desk space in my cube moves up and down. Probably cost $2000+. Very similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nztTFkzSDTk

I stand probably 2/3 of the day and love it. Got it a bit too late. Had several shoulder operations that the doctor said being hunched over a computer on a too short desk (I'm 6'2") contributed to. Back and neck pain went away a couple weeks after getting it. If I had know it was this much benefit for me, I would have paid for it myself.

Only bad thing is when I stand I'm tall enough to look over all the other cubes. Another minor gripe, I don't need an electric version and it moves slower than I would like. I work for a corporation with 10,000 or so employees in the area and they happened to have the electric one in inventory.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I log "standing at desk, working" 6-10 hours a day. Standing is a MET 2 exercise. At my weight of about 197, it burns a few calories a minute. Your 'standing' muscles will protest and get toned for the activity. Claim it, because it's real. It increases your heart rate about 10 bpm above sitting. Read the benefits at juststand.org. My employer promptly provided the Varidesk at work when I requested it. Today I logged 6 hours, 25 minutes standing, and claimed 318 calories burned from it. In 30 minutes of treadmill work this morning, I burned 326 calories.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    I haven't used one for extensive periods of time. I will tell you that some models are less stable and as you type the standing desk part may lower on you so maybe try testing that out?
  • moots4me
    moots4me Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have had the Varidesk at work for about 2 years. Pretty simple design for a 2 monitor setup and works great. I like being able to alternate between sitting and standing easily--I'm not good at remembering to stretch and move when I'm focusing on computer work.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I love the one I have at work (one of the $2000+ models). If I worked from home, I'd absolutely shell out $500 for one at home.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have one at work and love it. It really helps with my back and lets me stretch my legs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have an adjustable desk (like the one @Packerjohn posted above) and I love it. I never sit at work unless I am in a meeting, so it gives me at least 5-7 hours on my feet each day that I wasn't having before. It took me about a week to adjust to the time on my feet. I never get backaches anymore and I feel like I have more energy throughout the day. If I worked from home regularly, it would be one of the first things I would try to get.

I haven't tracked how many extra calories it burns (I use a Fitbit to do my adjustments), but I'm sure I get some additional calorie burn from it as well.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have a colleague who has had back surgery and who continues to struggle with back issues, and this type of desk has allowed her to continue to work - she loves it.
  • JKolb72
    JKolb72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk at work. I found that my posture is horrible when standing at my desk so I am very conscious of "how" I stand. I also bought a inexpensive a portable stair stepper, it is great to get a few steps in while I'm standing at my desk.

The arm is under $200.00 and the vari desk pictured is under $400.00

t1r965mu24zj.jpg

tof9pebxoacj.jpg

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I have written 4 recommendations (ergonomic evaluations) for the sit/stand desks. Following up with the personnel about 6 weeks after switching they are all thrilled with them and have said their lower backs are much better.
    I'm not a fan of the ones that go on top of a regular desk, much prefer the desks that are electric. $500-750 will buy a good quality electric desk.
    If you work from home can't you write the purchase off on taxes?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had one at my last job and loved it! When I got my current job I missed my adjustable desk, but I had my own office so I got over it.

When I got moved to Cubeville a few weeks ago, I actually didn't mind losing my office (too much) because I got a standing desk. I stand about 2/3 of the day and it really makes a difference in my energy levels. It's especially useful for that afternoon slump. I have no idea if it helps me burn extra calories, but I do know I feel better when I use it.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Varidesk. We got them in the spring, and we all love them. All of us have noticed less fatigue and greatly reduced back pain. Wish we would have done it years ago!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you work from home can't you write the purchase off on taxes?

Home office deductions are somewhat tricky and an audit flag.

Also if home isn't your principal place of work (i.e, just work from home a day or 2 a week) can't deduct.

Pretty decent article on home offiCws.

http://lifehacker.com/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-taxes-if-you-work-fr-1686777978

With or without tax benefits the standing option. Is great IMO
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I want one and cannot afford it. I have a rather humble set up here. I have a small wire type if shelf. It stands maybe 7" high. I put my laptop on that. I needed to raise the mouse pad so I placed the widest books I had in a stack until it was the right height for my comfort. I have to rearrange this if I want to sit which makes it more convenient to stand. So I don't sit much. I would love to have the sit-stand desk set up though.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Our company purchases them for anyone who requests one, and I love it. All I have to do is hold a button and it adjusts high or lower depending on where I want it. I also have a balance board that I like to stand on for periods of time while I'm working just to give my core a little jolt and make me focus more. I highly recommend it if you can afford to!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Our company purchases them for anyone who requests one, and I love it. All I have to do is hold a button and it adjusts high or lower depending on where I want it. I also have a balance board that I like to stand on for periods of time while I'm working just to give my core a little jolt and make me focus more. I highly recommend it if you can afford to!

What brand do you have? I have been looking online and some seem to have mixed reviews. I'd like to get one personally recommended by someone.
  • CBooth5033
    CBooth5033 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also have the Veri desk mentioned above. I love it. I have some lower back pain when standing for a while so I just bought an anti fatigue mat to stand on and I can use it all day. Keeps me not just standing, but I do move more. I now pace when I am on calls or just keep moving while standing. I am sure it does burn more calories, but I haven't checked how much either. I just take it as a bonus.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options

What brand do you have? I have been looking online and some seem to have mixed reviews. I'd like to get one personally recommended by someone.

Ummm....I have no idea! I've taken a picture of my desk...maybe someone who also has one knows?
    x2ujgktroovs.jpg

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019P8XYAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use that at work. Getting a real standing desk was way out of my and my boss's budget. My back was pretty messed up and I was tired of paying a Chrio for adjustments and then sitting down all day ruining the work he was doing. This was a $50 investment that has helped tremendously in my recovery.