Weight goal

At the beginning of the year I was determined that I wanted my goal weight to be 125. I am 5'2 and currently weigh 137.6. My weight loss has been really slow (-10 lbs in 8 months) but I can see my body more toned than any other times I've been on diets. I would always make the mistake of eating less than 1200 cals so my weight loss was quick but so was gaining it back. Now I'm eating 1400-1500 working out 5-6X a week and including weight training. At 136 I would still like to ose more fat but now I don't know if my weight goal should be 125 for I don't want to look too thin. Should I even have a weight goal when weight training? When do I switch to maintenance? My goal now is to lose fat and have more muscle definition ( a six pack would be nice too ) When ppl ask me how much more I want to lose and hear I want to lose another 10lbs, they look at me like I'm crazy because I would be too "thin"
Anybody else with this problem?

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Personally, I find weight goals to be overrated. You can be toned and fit as hotness and weigh in at 145. If your goal remains 125, you're likely to feel defeated when you've already reached your aesthetic finish line.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    At 136 I would still like to lose more fat but now I don't know if my weight goal should be 125 for I don't want to look too thin.
    So have a pause, what you decide now isn't forever.
    Should I even have a weight goal when weight training?
    A weight goal when weight training is perfectly fine, but it's just part of the overall picture.
    It's also OK to have a BF% goal or an aesthetic goal instead - whatever floats your boat! My goals tend to be performance based.
    When do I switch to maintenance?
    Whenever YOU want. You own your goals, not the other way round. Reassessing those goals and priorities is a good thing.
    My goal now is to lose fat and have more muscle definition ( a six pack would be nice too ).
    The quickest way to lose BF is obviously through a calorie deficit but again speed is only part of the picture. It's unimportant to me, enjoying life and my training right now is my priority so slow body composition changes are fine for me.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    At 136 I would still like to lose more fat but now I don't know if my weight goal should be 125 for I don't want to look too thin.
    A weight goal when weight training is perfectly fine, but it's just part of the overall picture.
    It's also OK to have a BF% goal or an aesthetic goal instead - whatever floats your boat! My goals tend to be performance based.
    Whenever YOU want. You own your goals, not the other way round. Reassessing those goals and priorities is a good thing.
    My goal now is to lose fat and have more muscle definition ( a six pack would be nice too ).
    The quickest way to lose BF is obviously through a calorie deficit but again speed is only part of the picture. It's unimportant to me, enjoying life and my training right now is my priority so slow body composition changes are fine for me.

Above is good advice. Just because you set a goal doesn't mean it's the right goal, you will need to figure out what works best for you as you go. Since you are losing slowly you can stop at anytime pretty easily without having to worry. You should also look at the difference between a recomp and bulk/cut cycle once you get finished because you might decide you want to have a more athletic or muscular look as you get closer to your goal. It's amazing the number of women here who start off just trying to get thin then start lifting and realize that strong and lean is a much better look for them.
  • marinangie
    marinangie Posts: 7 Member
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Personally, I find weight goals to be overrated. You can be toned and fit as hotness and weigh in at 145. If your goal remains 125, you're likely to feel defeated when you've already reached your aesthetic finish line.

My new me agrees with you, the old me would of said the lower the numbers on the scale the better. Sadly, most women think that way and that is why I started questioning if I should even have a GW.
  • marinangie
    edited September 2016

Thank you for the great advice. You are right! I'm going to have mini goals and reasses after each one has been completed
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I'm 5"4 and I maintain at 123-127 and to be honest I could probably lose about 5-10 more before anyone really thought I looked "skinny" but it depends on your body shape hun! X
  • marinangie

Above is good advice. Just because you set a goal doesn't mean it's the right goal, you will need to figure out what works best for you as you go. Since you are losing slowly you can stop at anytime pretty easily without having to worry. You should also look at the difference between a recomp and bulk/cut cycle once you get finished because you might decide you want to have a more athletic or muscular look as you get closer to your goal. It's amazing the number of women here who start off just trying to get thin then start lifting and realize that strong and lean is a much better look for them.

Yup, I'm one of them. At first i just wanted that number to go down. I was too scared to lift weights because I didn't wan too look bulky or manly. But then realized how better my body looks with muscle definition and that's where my doubts kicked in. I know now that my main goal is to lose as much body fat while maintaining my muscle mass and once that is reached, I will reassess my goals