moving average or 10 day best?

Options
a question for maintainers_I use the happy scale app.& weigh-in daily-when you set it for maintain do you use the moving average as your 'real' weight to account for fluctuations,and adjust calories up/down based on that number? I've been tracking by 10 day best so far while losing.thanks :)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I have defined a "Maintenance range" for my body weight. If my body weight starts moving upwards beyond the 75% percentile, I start eating at a deficit again. My objective is to be within the 25% percentile and 50% percentile of my body weight range.
    You have to define your range. That is the hard part.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    My menstrual cycle is 26 days. Using a 26-day trailing average evens out the hormone induced spikes & dips. It's amazing how much smoother my weight trend looks over that interval. It also makes it pretty obvious when it is trending up or down. I may not have understood the second part of your question correctly, but I don't adjust calories based on my daily weigh-in. I eat my TDEE. Actually, I bank calories for the weekend so when averaged Monday-to-Sunday, I eat my TDEE on average. When my weight trend gets to the top of my maintenance range, I eat (on average, still banking weekly) TDEE-250 calories for 10-12 weeks to get my weight back in range.

I've never heard of 10-day-best, but it makes sense to me. I'll check that out. Thanks.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I just go by the moving average.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and chart the 7 day moving average using Excel.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    My menstrual cycle is 26 days. Using a 26-day trailing average evens out the hormone induced spikes & dips. It's amazing how much smoother my weight trend looks over that interval. It also makes it pretty obvious when it is trending up or down. I may not have understood the second part of your question correctly, but I don't adjust calories based on my daily weigh-in. I eat my TDEE. Actually, I bank calories for the weekend so when averaged Monday-to-Sunday, I eat my TDEE on average. When my weight trend gets to the top of my maintenance range, I eat (on average, still banking weekly) TDEE-250 calories for 10-12 weeks to get my weight back in range.

I've never heard of 10-day-best, but it makes sense to me. I'll check that out. Thanks.

I also use a full menstrual cycle. It is around 25-28 days for me.

I have weighed daily for over 10 years. I have done this while gaining weight, losing weight, maintaining weight. I probably tend to under react because I am so used to fluctuations.

@skinnygirl4u I would have a reasonable take action weight in mind. There is no need to adjust calorie daily because of weight fluctuations.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    7 day average. I also use a weight range per se.. So if I stay at a higher end of that weight range for more than 5-6 days, I might adjust calories a little bit. This is all dependent if I am very relaxed in my maintaining calories and know I may be off point.