Need some belly fat busting ideas ...

Options
prairieprayerpartners
prairieprayerpartners Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Here's the short version. I'm a 6'1" male, age 60. 4 months ago I was a total couch potato with an average intake of 4000-5000 calories per day and weighed 258. I went for the first month on a 900 calories per day diet which after about 5 weeks, I had to increase to 1300-1400 per day as some of my systems were shutting down. I started with 2 miles a day of fast walking; now average 4-4.5 miles a day of fast walking and jogging. Finished my 1st 5k about 4 weeks ago in 40:26 (really wanted in the 30's!) and will be doing another in 2 weeks. In 4 months, I've dropped 60 pounds - praise God! But I still want to lose about another 13-18 pounds and it's all centered in my gut. Building muscle elsewhere with some dumbbell work, but the gut and the turkey neck are making me crazy. Crunches not really an option because of back issues. Any other suggestions? Please know that I'm thrilled with my progress, I just want to get to the next level. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Blessings! JT

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    you dont spot reduce as a first. second you might want to review your strategy and calories /macros most importantly as you want to focus on burning fat as opposed to loosing weight.
    900 / 1300 calories is just dumb and self sabotaging.
    If your weight input is still on you should now be somewhere around 190 lbs - which for an adult male is more than adequate.
    Shift your calories to 1800 / 2000 and focus on building strength and eventually mass.
    Could start with an easy strength training protocol "5x5" which is great to build foundations and have your body morphology start shifting.
    on 2000 calories you will still be on a slight deficit so no need to panic that you will gain weight back on.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    With only 18lbs to lose and with such a large amount lost, I would take a 2 week diet break to try and restore some normal hormonal levels before continuing a less aggressive diet. Return to your maintenance calories or very slightly under for 2 weeks then set MFP to lose 0.5-1lb a week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    As a 63 yo woman I beg you to review your calorie input. You have lost a larger than needed amount of muscle and bone density eating at such a low daily goal.

Sarcopenia is a reality for us as we age.
    Please do some research on it and apply the guidelines they give- higher protein intake and resistance training.
    (Link for programmes below)

It may be a good idea to go to the doctor for a check up. You have been following a low calorie diet and are probably lacking some essential nutrients.

The turkey neck along with any other loose skin may firm up over time but at our age it is a much slower process.

The belly fat will decrease as you slowly lose those last few pounds and start lifting weights, but be realistic in your expectations.
    Have a look at the recomp thread in the maintenance forum. This may suit your goals.

Cheers, h.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you're not building muscle while losing that quickly. Minimum recommended intake is 1500 calories, and at your height you can easily lose eating more than that.
  • prairieprayerpartners
    Options
    Appreciate all of the responses and the suggestions/concerns. Yes, it has been a very aggressive diet but I'm the type of guy that needs to see results to stay motivated. I have had a recent check-up and my blood/chem levels are all fine; I do take a vitamin supplement as well, and as I try to get down to my final goal of 180-185, it is going to obviously be a slower pace just because all of the "easy weight" loss has long evaporated. I have been increasing muscle mass in my arms and legs so I don't think I'm pushing it too far. The resistance training is probably the best advice; I've been missing that component. No unreal expectations here; I'm not expecting to have the abs of a 20 year old, but waist has gone from 42 to 36 and I'd really like to get that into the 33-34 inch range. Thanks again to all of you for your comments. Blessings! JT
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    the problem is that losing so aggressively means you've lost muscle, and muscle is what burns fat, so you'll need to eat even less calories to maintain your weight. also not healthy for your heart, which is also a muscle. and if you're resistance training and losing that fast, that means you need more protein to repair your muscles - otherwise you're just putting a strain on your body.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have been increasing muscle mass in my arms and legs so I don't think I'm pushing it too far.

If you've been in a calorific deficit, then you haven't increased muscle mass. The very best you can hope for is to retain the muscle you have, but that requires a progressive lifting programme, and tightly controlled macros especially protein.