Gain after a big workout?

Options
I'm wondering if I'm alone in this. I usually weight every Monday and a few times during the weeks, but only track my Monday weight. I have noticed this a few times, and again this morning. Does anyone else notice a gain after a big workout day?

Yesterday we went on a 2 hour hike and I burned just over 1400 calories, I ate most of them back throughout the rest of the day and had a 3 pound gain this morning. Usually when I weigh in the day after a big work out I gain and then a few days later see a drop - but wondered if this was normal?

Maybe I should not weight the day after a big workout and instead wait a few days? Thoughts?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Your muscles retain water as part of the recovery & repair process. It goes away soon.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes, your body holds on to water after working out. Did you wear a HRM? 1400 calories seems like a lot.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll keep that in mind - I need to get a HRM, I just went off what the MFP entry said. It was a pretty intense hike with a 10 pound backpack for 2 hours (1 hour up to the lake and 1 hour down to the car). I usually don't eat all my calories back when I have such a large number, just in case :wink: