Is it possible I'm a) eating too much or b) not lifting enough?

Options
I only do weights no cardio except daily dog walks. I have not been consistent with workouts until around 4 months ago. I now do 3 workouts per week using the strong curves, I'm in my third week, I have increased reps or weight each week.
Prior to this I had been eating at maintenance which for me works out at around 1700kcal. I've increased kcals and I'm consuming around 2000. I have gained 6lbs I look noticeably bigger around my tummy.
Has this happened to anyone when they increased kcals and did it settle out? I'm a bit worried about reducing my kcals because people seem to eat so much in order to bulk.
My goal is to gain muscle, I'm 43 and have been lifting on and off for 4 years but never tried bulking before.

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So since you've started lifting weights 3x a week you've increased your calories for the week by 2100 calories (300*7). I'm pretty doubtful that between three sessions of strong curves a week that you're burning an additional 2100 calories so it could indeed be that you are eating over your maintenance calories and gaining weight from it. I guess what i'm confused about are your goals since you seem concerned about the weight gain; are you trying to bulk or maintain?
  • Kiky40
    Kiky40 Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks.
    I'm trying to bulk. My concern is that I've gained noticeably around my tummy. I'm wondering if this is an indication that I'm not lifting heavy enough to build muscle and therefore I'm just storing fat.
    I'm happy to gain fat if I'm also gaining muscle, I've intentionally increased my kcals to encourage muscle building.
    I'm aware they I won't see muscle growth quickly.
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you've gained around your belly? Or is lifting causing your upper body to tone out making it look like your belly is bigger now?
  • Kiky40
    Options
    Yes my trousers are too tight. If I gain weight it always goes to my tummy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You are bulking and these things happen when you bulk. Much of that gain may be water, it's hard to tell sometimes but lower abdominal area is where water weight can show up as well as fat. If you are trying to bulk then this is just something you will need to accept until you decide to cut.
  • Kiky40
    Options
    Ok so this is quite normal and I should just persevere?
    I'm always concerned that I just don't lift heavy enough and I will never be able to do a bulk.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. First, I'm not sure if you gained the 6 lbs the last 3 weeks you've been lifting or the last 4 months when you became consistent with working out (you said prior to this but I didn't know which you were referencing).

It's possible if the 6lb gain has been in the last three weeks that you're body is still retaining water from starting a lifting program. It's also possible (if you've gained 6 LBS in the last three weeks) that some of it a real gain, probably about 2 pounds if you've been eating 2100 calories over maintenance for the last three weeks. If you're accurately tracking and it has only been three weeks i'd personally stick it out for a few more weeks before making any adjustments.

Unfortunately when we bulk we cant choose where excess calories are stored, your body will store the excess calories in adipose tissue where it decides to (it's genetics). While it's different for everyone I find where I gain first when I bulk is where I loose first when I cut (if that gives you any comfort at all).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Kiky40 wrote: »
    Ok so this is quite normal and I should just persevere?
    I'm always concerned that I just don't lift heavy enough and I will never be able to do a bulk.

Bulking is based on caloric intake and how far you are over maintenance. The amount of fat vs muscle you gain will depend on several factors, many of which are outside your control, but you don't need to lift particularly heavy to gain muscle. I favour heavy weight and low reps but many bulk on light weights and high reps or somewhere in between. It all depends on your goals and preferences what your lifting will look like but if you preserver you will gain muscle and if you keep your calories below 500 per day you should gain around 1/4 of your gain in muscle. You'll have to run a cut or recomp to clean up the excess fat when you hit your goal.

The first thing to remember about bulking is it's a total mind game with yourself. Until you get used to it and comfortable with the changes you will always doubt yourself but stick with it and ride it out for awhile. Your follow up cut will resolve any issues.

• Kiky40
    Options
    Thanks for your input, yes it's definitely a 6lb gain and very noticeable on my tummy.

I've been inconsistent in training in that I was doing a workout maybe 2x week then I'd get busy at work and skip a week then maybe I'd do 3 a week etc...

For the last 4 months I've been consistent, working out 3x per week, just doing compound moves.

I decided to start strong curves again and for the last 3 weeks I've stuck with the programme and I'm definitely increasing what I'm lifting.
    I'm now approaching the weights I was at this time last year but I ate just above maintenance then and I didn't seem to get any stronger.

I really want to see some muscle growth which is why I've decided to increase kcals by 300 per day.
    I don't struggle with my weight I do fluctuate up and down the odd lb but nothing of concern.
    I thought this was a big gain and wondered if it was normal and part of the programme or a indication that I'm just eating too much for what I'm lifting.

I'll keep going and see what happens, thanks for your input.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Over what period of time did you gain the 6lbs?
  • Kiky40
    Options
    3 weeks I weighed myself the day I increased my kcals. I have tracked accurately because I prepare all my family's food.
    I agree some of it is likely water etc.. But my trousers are tighter also.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If I were you I would make a slight reduction to calorie intake.

There are a number of factors that will dictate how well you gain muscle, but a huge variable is rate of weight gain. The faster you gain weight, the more likely you are gaining excessive body-fat.

The slower you gain, the less fat you will gain, generally speaking.

• Kiky40
    Options
    That's what I was worried about,
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

There are a number of factors that will dictate how well you gain muscle, but a huge variable is rate of weight gain. The faster you gain weight, the more likely you are gaining excessive body-fat.

My one concern is that if the OP was not gaining on 1700 calories, that would in fact, be her maintenance and that increase calories to 2000 would definitely be in the lean bulk territory; suggesting that the rapid increase in weight is a function of additional glycogen storage, increases in waste in her GI system, and sodium manipulation and maybe even TOM. If the OP tapers back down, she will end up back at maintenance.

OP, out of curiosity, how long were you at 1700 to determine it was your maintenance?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

My one concern is that if the OP was not gaining on 1700 calories, that would in fact, be her maintenance and that increase calories to 2000 would definitely be in the lean bulk territory; suggesting that the rapid increase in weight is a function of additional glycogen storage, increases in waste in her GI system, and sodium manipulation and maybe even TOM. If the OP tapers back down, she will end up back at maintenance.

OP, out of curiosity, how long were you at 1700 to determine it was your maintenance?

Yes you might see a small bump in weight but not 6lbs of it.

Additionally I tend to favor slow bulks in people who wish to err on the side of minimizing fat gain.
  • Kiky40
    Options
    Thanks for your replys.
    I started accurately tracking my intake around 2 months ago. I wanted to work out my maintenance kcals.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Additionally I tend to favor slow bulks in people who wish to err on the side of minimizing fat gain.

Jumping in to ask why it's unreasonable that she's gained 6lbs? When people switch to maintenance and experience the jump on the scale everyone says "it's just water". So whats the difference in this case?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

Jumping in to ask why it's unreasonable that she's gained 6lbs? When people switch to maintenance and experience the jump on the scale everyone says "it's just water". So whats the difference in this case?

I'm suggesting that if you are at maintenance intake and you move to a small surplus and you see a 6lb weight increase over 3 weeks it is likely that your surplus is too large.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm suggesting that if you are at maintenance intake and you move to a small surplus and you see a 6lb weight increase over 3 weeks it is likely that your surplus is too large.

Maybe the mathematical part of me is screwing with me but if you maintain at 1700 and bump to 2000, how else could the 6 lb increase be explained? I guess we could consider logging errors or inconsistencies but outside of that i do see it much different that those who switch to a cut and see 5 lb losses.

I guess we would need more info from the OP to valid if the assumption is right. Was the 6 lbs a consistent 2 lbs per week gain? Are you using a food scale? Logging daily?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Maybe the mathematical part of me is screwing with me but if you maintain at 1700 and bump to 2000, how else could the 6 lb increase be explained? I guess we could consider logging errors or inconsistencies but outside of that i do see it much different that those who switch to a cut and see 5 lb losses.

I guess we would need more info from the OP to valid if the assumption is right. Was the 6 lbs a consistent 2 lbs per week gain? Are you using a food scale? Logging daily?

If someone were to go from a steep deficit to surplus I would expect some potentially larger swings in weight.

I wouldn't expect this large of a swing going from maintenance to a surplus.

I do think it's a good idea to get more info like you're doing.

Additionally my logic is this, if I'm wrong and she's not in too big of a surplus the end result is that she potentially gains much slower or at worst case maintains if she brings calories down another 100-150.

But if she's indeed eating too much and she does not reduce the end result could be additional fat gain.

Id also like to know height/weight to see what this looks like in terms of %bw