Yoga studio or gym with yoga classes? Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    idk . . . organized yoga gives me The Rage. that said though, kundalini class gave me the workout on top of the rage. if i have to do it, yin is more my style because you can get into a position and then take a short nap.

so for what my input is worth, i don't think yin is the form that you're looking for.

Ha! I was so afraid to try it after experiencing yoga as a teen - that was just sitting meditatively in several postures in a row, thought I would die from boredom. It's changed in the intervening years, Americanized I guess? The place I go has music and the classes are all based on movement, more than just static poses. We do breathe and hold poses but there is a heck of a lot of movement in these classes and I find that much easier to get into, and it's calibrated to be exhausting in a way that is very relaxing and satisfying.

Our local acupuncture clinic has kundalini yogis working there, that seems very esoteric, more religious than the regular 'workout' sort of classes?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Our local acupuncture clinic has kundalini yogis working there, that seems very esoteric, more religious than the regular 'workout' sort of classes?

yeah, actually the vigorous form that i did [one session of and i'm surprised i did that] might have been hatha. i dropped out as fast as i could get my hands on the woman behind the desk, and then just tried to pretend that it hadn't happened. lots of snorty breathing and body-flinging activity going on; it was just too weird for me.

my input's not useful here. i live in the land of lululemon, and i just piggybacked on to unleash a bit of my bile. carry on and namaste and all that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    A yoga class, whether in a yoga studio, gym or street corner, will only be as good as it's teacher/coach/leader/instructor. There is no way a generic question on a message can give you a good answer.

Can a gym have a very good yoga instructor and class? Absolutely.
    Can a yoga studio offer substandard classes? Yep.
    Could you find a great class in someone's basement? Sure.
    The only way for you to get your answer is to shop around in your area, ask people in your area for their recommendations, try a sample class and make your choice.

Kinda like college. The class is only as good as it's instructor and what you put into it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

yeah, actually the vigorous form that i did [one session of and i'm surprised i did that] might have been hatha. i dropped out as fast as i could get my hands on the woman behind the desk, and then just tried to pretend that it hadn't happened. lots of snorty breathing and body-flinging activity going on; it was just too weird for me.

my input's not useful here. i live in the land of lululemon, and i just piggybacked on to unleash a bit of my bile. carry on and namaste and all that.

Any yoga that involves postures (asanas) is hatha yoga. Studios who offer hatha yoga in addition to Kundalini or Kripalu or whatever are misusing the term as they are all hatha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga#Schools

The term "yoga" has been applied to a variety of practices and methods, including Jain and Buddhist practices. In Hinduism these include Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, Laya Yoga and Hatha Yoga.