What constitutes a binge?

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    In behavioral disorder terms, a binge is classified by having a heightened and frantic (or else truly depressed and numb) emotional state. Consuming large amounts of calories totalling thousands in a short time (within a few hours) coupled with a fear and feeling of not being able to stop, even well beyond the point of making yourself sick.

The difference between binging and over-eating is the emotional and mental state that accompanies it. It is not eating a few hundred calories over. It is not even necessarily eating thousands of calories over. It is what is going on in your head WHILE you are overeating.

The term "binge" is way overused on this site and minimizes the experiences and struggles those who actually struggle with binge eating experience.

^^ This.

Binge is an actual word with an actual definiton. Not all uses of the word binge refers to binging disorders as you've described.

Yes. Being as this is a fitness site - and in particular, a food tracking site, I thought to define the word as it relates to food and negative behaviors (as the OP was questioning the word in that sense.)
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Saying that I binged on sushi this weekend is relating to food. I do not have a binging disorder.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    Saying that I binged on sushi this weekend is relating to food. I do not have a binging disorder.

At no point did I say you have a disorder. I explained what the term is in relation to a disorder - to which, if binging is a consistent issue - one needs help for.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In behavioral disorder terms, a binge is classified by having a heightened and frantic (or else truly depressed and numb) emotional state. Consuming large amounts of calories totalling thousands in a short time (within a few hours) coupled with a fear and feeling of not being able to stop, even well beyond the point of making yourself sick.

The difference between binging and over-eating is the emotional and mental state that accompanies it. It is not eating a few hundred calories over. It is not even necessarily eating thousands of calories over. It is what is going on in your head WHILE you are overeating.

The term "binge" is way overused on this site and minimizes the experiences and struggles those who actually struggle with binge eating experience.

^^^ This. Simply eating over your calorie goal, or snacking on treats, does not constitute a binge. That's just called "eating".
  • iamkass
    Options

At no point did I say you have a disorder. I explained what the term is in relation to a disorder - to which, if binging is a consistent issue - one needs help for.

I know you didn't. But it was in response to "The term "binge" is way overused on this site and minimizes the experiences and struggles those who actually struggle with binge eating experience." part of your statement. It is not overused if it is used as a verb to signify indulging in excess.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

I know you didn't. But it was in response to "The term "binge" is way overused on this site and minimizes the experiences and struggles those who actually struggle with binge eating experience." part of your statement. It is not overused if it is used as a verb to signify indulging in excess.

You may feel it is not. Seeing as the word, when loosely used, often shames those who deal with binging issues (to the point where it is affecting their daily physical and mental health) it is a fair conclusion that it IS overused.

It is similar to comparing a paper cut to losing a limb. Both are wounds but one signifies a much bigger and more severe problem. It is dismissive and quite frankly, insulting to suggest otherwise.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think you can knowingly binge.

A binge is defined by eating a large and unneeded amount of food in a short period of time. This is usually coupled with a feeling of being unable to stop but I think if you know what you are doing,and choose to continue that can be called a binge but not a disordered kind of binge
  • iamkass
    Options

A binge is defined by eating a large and unneeded amount of food in a short period of time. This is usually coupled with a feeling of being unable to stop but I think if you know what you are doing,and choose to continue that can be called a binge but not a disordered kind of binge

I completely agree with you, but apparently we are being insensitive.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I think you just overate. When I used to binge, I would just eat and eat and eat, not for enjoyment, but to fill some kind of void I was feeling. My stomach would be feeling MISERABLE and I would still eat a whole family size bag of nacho cheese Doritos because I felt like I couldn't stop. That's binging to me, but I know everyone has a different view on it. If I go out for pizza and drinks with my friends and eat more calories than I should, that's not what I consider a binge. It's just me enjoying a treat on a night out and it's not part of my regular routine.
  • iamkass
    Options

You may feel it is not. Seeing as the word, when loosely used, often shames those who deal with binging issues (to the point where it is affecting their daily physical and mental health) it is a fair conclusion that it IS overused.

It is similar to comparing a paper cut to losing a limb. Both are wounds but one signifies a much bigger and more severe problem. It is dismissive and quite frankly, insulting to suggest otherwise.

That's like saying using the term "binge drinking" for people who drink in excess (usually on Friday and Saturday nights), is insulting to alcoholics who binge drink on a whole other level. And if you believe that to be true too, well I'm afraid we will just never see eye-to-eye.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I completely agree with you, but apparently we are being insensitive.

To be fair, I do think other people use the term binge in a way that is completely inaccurate. If you just ate over your calorie goal, but you didn't do it all at once I wouldn't call that a binge.

And I think it has to be defined by volume of food, and not just the calories. I dont know if eating a cup of almonds can be constituted as a binge, even though it is a LOT of calories.

Or can it?

Not sure...
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

That's like saying using the term "binge drinking" for people who drink in excess (usually on Friday and Saturday nights), is insulting to alcoholics who binge drink on a whole other level. And if you believe that to be true too, well I'm afraid we will just never see eye-to-eye.

We do see differently. As someone who has had many loved ones struggle with eating disorders - and as someone who is recovering alcoholic well acquainted with "binge drinking" - I will take the definitions as relayed by people who actually experience them on a problematic level.

You will do as you wish. Please continue thinking that your binges warrant any concern nearing what others may need.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I hear that word used all the time on this forum, and I thought that I never have binges, but...

Went out and ate thousands of excessive calories this weekend. (As in fries, bbq ribs and wings, Thai food, tons of alcohol.
    Probably 5-6K+ of extra calories over maintenance.

But, I knew full well what was going to happen when I made a decision to go to particular restaurants. (I hoped that the next day's girl night out would not be as bad, but after 4 drinks I wanted... you guess it... those cheese and ranch dressing, bacon and jalapeno fries AGAIN. For 3 days in a row.

Is that a binge? If you realize what you are doing and still just really really want to do it anyway?
    Or did I just overeat?

Because it seems that what some people describe as a binge, is an animal like frenzied state, as if a person is dissociated from their actions and not "legally responsible" until they come to. Like a psychiatric defense or something.

What do you view as a binge?

For me a binge is when I eat so much that I feel pain in my abdomen, that is unrelieved by going pantless. It's when I continue to eat food way past the point of being comfortably full. This happens to me alomost everytime I go to a buffet. I know on a logical level that I should stop, but something in the back of my head tells me that i need to eat more and make sure that I get my money's worth. It also happens when I visit my Mother. She is a food is love person, and makes these huge meals that make no sense, and if I don't eat, I get crap about it, and part of me that knows better is squelched out by the needing to eat everything that she provides.

I have had times in both of these cases when I have eaten more than double my daily caloric needs (Not adjusted for MFP trying to lose weight) in one sitting.
  • kellywa1179
    kellywa1179 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was a full blown binge eater. It started as stress eating and grew from there into a dark dark thing that took on a life of its own. It became a full blown psychiatric disorder, and with 2 years of intense therapy, now have the coping mechanisms I lacked that started the whole cycle. I have lost a total of 48 pounds, and have about 25 left. Like an alcoholic, a drug user, or any other habitual behavior it is with me every second of the day, but I am now able to manage it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I think you just overate. When I used to binge, I would just eat and eat and eat, not for enjoyment, but to fill some kind of void I was feeling. My stomach would be feeling MISERABLE and I would still eat a whole family size bag of nacho cheese Doritos because I felt like I couldn't stop. That's binging to me, but I know everyone has a different view on it. If I go out for pizza and drinks with my friends and eat more calories than I should, that's not what I consider a binge. It's just me enjoying a treat on a night out and it's not part of my regular routine.

I concur. There is usually some sort of psychological or emotional issue related to binge eating for me. Stress eating can lead to bingeing for me if I don't keep it in check. I have been doing a lot of stress eating, but have managed to keeep it from progressing to bingeing. I have been eating beyond the point where I am full though over the last couple of weeks.
  • iamkass
    Options

We do see differently. As someone who has had many loved ones struggle with eating disorders - and as someone who is recovering alcoholic well acquainted with "binge drinking" - I will take the definitions as relayed by people who actually experience them on a problematic level.

You will do as you wish. Please continue thinking that your binges warrant any concern nearing what others may need.

Oh, you are mistaken. I don't think my occasional indulging in excess food (i.e. binging) warrants any concern. At all.

Please continue to live in your little bubble where dictionaries don't exist and every definition can only be taken in its most extreme form.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Totally! That's exactly why people (including myself) who seriously have binging problem would find actual understanding and support in the binge eating support group forum.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Oh, you are mistaken. I don't think my occasional indulging in excess food (i.e. binging) warrants any concern. At all.

Please continue to live in your little bubble where dictionary doesn't exist and every definition can only be taken in it's most extreme form.

I was mistaken. I'd assumed you felt that your binges warranted concern. My apologies. I do hope that you don't assume that others binging does NOT warrant concern (as it is not a problem for you, I sincerely hope you do NOT feel it should not be a problem for others.)

And yes, words do have meaning. I'll take it as a point of interest that you are far more concerned with the specific meaning of the word rather than how it applies to the comprehensive issue at hand.

All words have meanings. It'd be a shame if you couldn't apply that on a larger level to join a conversation rather than focusing on what the word means in a vacuum.
  • iamkass
    Options

Please continue to live in your little bubble where dictionary doesn't exist and every definition can only be taken in it's most extreme form.

I was mistaken. I'd assumed you felt that your binges warranted concern. My apologies. I do hope that you don't assume that others binging does NOT warrant concern (as it is not a problem for you, I sincerely hope you do NOT feel it should not be a problem for others.)

And yes, words do have meaning. I'll take it as a point of interest that you are far more concerned with the specific meaning of the word rather than how it applies to the comprehensive issue at hand.

All words have meanings. It'd be a shame if you couldn't apply that on a larger level to join a conversation rather than focusing on what the word means in a vacuum.

As mentioned in a previous post, I understand that there are some people who deal with binge-eating disorders. I am very sorry for those people, I understand it is a serious issue that should be dealt with. I was really only responding to the fact that you were saying that the word was overused. If it is used in fear and concern where it probably shouldn't be, I agree that it is probably used too much. My point was only that it is often used properly when it is referring to eating in excess and not disordered eating. That's all. Just don't hate on the word. I love words and I like using them.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    I am a big fan of not minimizing or dismissing psychological issues, thus my defense of the word "binge" as it relates to an actual disorder. A word is just a word until a larger meaning is attached to it. If you cut away everything but the paper definition, it becomes useless. Apply the human experience to it - the messy and often volatile struggle that people experience with the word - and it finally becomes useful.

Without that, the word - and the experience behind it - is two dimensional and not worth a damn.
    I love words and I like using them.

I as well. That I can agree with you wholeheartedly on.