? About fitbit burn rate

Options
I was wondering about my Fitbit charge heart rate its saying I'm burning around 700 to thousand calories per hour of cardio that just seems high to me. I am a 6-4 man currently at 342.8 pounds this is on a treadmill going 2.5 miles per hour any help would be greatly appreciated most websites I look at it say it should be around 400 to 500 calories per hour.

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Is that burn number through MFP or the Fitbit app itself? I ask because the Fitbit calculates exercise and BMR for your TDEE and doesn't differentiate between the two.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Reasonably, at your weight you could be burning that much. The heavier you are, the harder your body has to work to move all that weight around, thus, higher heart rate and calorie burn. To be sure, you can use the following adjustments on your fitbit to ensure it's as accurate as possible.

1. Wear it on NON dominant hand, but tell the fitbit app you're actually wearing it on the dominant hand. This reduces chance of not-steps being counted as steps.

2. Tell the fitbit app you are one inch shorter than you really are, shorter people burn fewer calories moving, and that can lower estimates just in case.

3. ACCURATELY measure your gait length on a track, input the inches in the fitbit app. This will ensure the app gets as close to your actual mileage as possible, counting steps more accurately and reducing chances of non-step step counting.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Is that burn number through MFP or the Fitbit app itself? I ask because the Fitbit calculates exercise and BMR for your TDEE and doesn't differentiate between the two.

From the fitbit itself mfp is always why over
    Reasonably, at your weight you could be burning that much. The heavier you are, the harder your body has to work to move all that weight around, thus, higher heart rate and calorie burn. To be sure, you can use the following adjustments on your fitbit to ensure it's as accurate as possible.

1. Wear it on NON dominant hand, but tell the fitbit app you're actually wearing it on the dominant hand. This reduces chance of not-steps being counted as steps.

2. Tell the fitbit app you are one inch shorter than you really are, shorter people burn fewer calories moving, and that can lower estimates just in case.

3. ACCURATELY measure your gait length on a track, input the inches in the fitbit app. This will ensure the app gets as close to your actual mileage as possible, counting steps more accurately and reducing chances of non-step step counting.

I will do this ty for help
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    No worries. You can get additional tips or information on fitbit-related weight loss and calorie burns in the fitbit user group. It's also a helpful group to be a member of, as they put out notifications of when the system is down and how to solve technical issues.