Work makes me eat

Options
Hey all you fellow mfp-ers! My co-workers are constantly bringing in snacks, desserts, and candy to work. My will is weak to resist and i end up eating junk becuase of them! Anyone else deal with this?

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You end up eating junk because you choose to, don't blame others unless they literally tied you down and shoved it into your mouth. Do you find yourself overindulging or are you able to have just one? You only have to say no to the first treat. If they offer it to you directly, politely decline and let them know that they can pass on by next time.

ETA: I used to bring homemade goodies into work. Those who said "no", I commended them and didn't return unless they asked me to come back later. I don't like having to repeat my "no", it should be respected, so I respect others' "no".
  • ElleBellesTheoBear
    Options
    This happens to me too... I just pack my snacks and of they bring out somethibg super tasty looking I grab my snack and eat that instead and go straight back to work.. it's hard. I had a guy bring in donuts and said I would personally offend him if I didn't take one... so I took it wrapped it up and gave it to my husband to eat after work lol!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No, because when I say no once people tend to listen.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, as I don't often eat the treats at work.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Wait until the baby arrives and hits about 2.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I have 5 and never had that problem. :)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I have 5 and never had that problem. :)

I bow to your infinite patience.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you want to you can say 'yes, thank you' and then pitch it in the trash when they walk away - they are happy that you participated, you are happy not to eat it.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Hey all you fellow mfp-ers! My co-workers are constantly bringing in snacks, desserts, and candy to work. My will is weak to resist and i end up eating junk becuase of them! Anyone else deal with this?

Dedicate yourself to a lifestyle of minimal cheats and you'll start craving the healthy stuff and easily avoiding the cakes and treats that people bring to the office. I usually bring plenty of snacks and mini-meals to keep me satisfied throughout the day so I don't indulge. Feel free to check my diary for snack inspo.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

You have my infinite sympathy. Workplaces can be the absolute pits if you are addicted to sugary junky food. I have very little willpower either. Another problem is food gifts people will leave on your desk especially during the holidays. You can't offend clients and say no.

A few things that have helped me:
    -- make sure you don't go to work hungry because then you will be more tempted.
    -- I can't have just one because then I will want 25.
    -- Bring your own healthy snacks.
    -- Sugarless gum helps me.
    -- Say no thanks to the food pushers. Say it again. Say it again. Don't apologize or feel guilty.
    -- Talk to your office mates if the food is in an area you have to see all the time and move the food to a break room etc. you can avoid.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    If you want to you can say 'yes, thank you' and then pitch it in the trash when they walk away - they are happy that you participated, you are happy not to eat it.

I cant throw food out! And the sad truth is....i do want it! This community will help me get stronger

The question then is, do you want it or do you want to maintain a calorie deficit?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can't say no.
    You can't throw food away.

What can you do?
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

I cant throw food out! And the sad truth is....i do want it! This community will help me get stronger

The question then is, do you want it or do you want to maintain a calorie deficit?

I try my hardest not to, but its a small office and. And its 10ft away from for 8hrs...

If you are 10 feet away from food you don't want to eat, and you have no willpower, why can't you ask that the food be moved to another location? Claim a health problem if you have to do that, whatever it takes.

Years ago, I worked in an office with a traditional candy dish a few feet away. I told the people who ran the office to move it to another place (believe me, they can find another location). You mentioned patients. I will tell you that when I go to a medical office or take a family member, it is a total turnoff to see a big candy dish in the reception room.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I try my hardest not to, but its a small office and. And its 10ft away from for 8hrs...

Then you don't want to lose weight.... your choice.