Starving a lot

Options
Anyone wanna look at a few days of my diary and offer suggestion on how I can get past the feeling of being hungry all day?
Right now I have my goal to lose a pound a week. I am 5 10 and 185 pounds. I been averaging 2 or 3 workouts per week. I am really hungry quite bit of the time. I know I could make better use of my calories and limit sweets but that is my weakness.. I am almost ready to give up losing and just make sure to maintain my weight. I had lost 101 pounds but gained 15 back between the holidays and a divorce. I do suffer from low iron but its being treated and side effect of constipation so I have to try hard to get my fiber in. Any help would be great.. Too lose I should eat 1500 plus my exercise calories.. Most I probably should take in would be 2000.

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    How often after you eat are your hungry? Your food looks fine- even with sweets you seem to be ok on calories, generally. If the small meals thing isn't working for you, you could always eat bigger less often- might hold you over?
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am hungry within an hour or two. It seems to be mostly in the evening and more so on work days.. I think I might start keeping record. I been hungry all evening tonight.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry in the mornings and at work? If not, you could load more calories into the evening...?
  • beanjo020297
    beanjo020297 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try and plan healthy snacks in between meals to keep you going. Unfortunately for me, the only real way to get my body used to a change in diet is to push through. If I'm feeling peckish and I don't have the calories to spare, I'll drink a 0 cal soda; the carbonation gives a false sense of fullness
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You may need more protein and more healthy fat within your calorie allowance to stay satisfied. Also load up on nonstarchy vegetables to fill the "hole".
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you would feel a lot less hungry AND be a lot less weak around sweets if you focused on getting in more real, nutritious food. Eating more (red) meat and green vegetables would help you get in more fiber and iron, maybe even without the need for supplements.

I think maybe structuring your eating to fewer and "shorter" meals - your diary makes it look as if you are eating all the time - you probably aren't, but it can affect your attitude towards eating and you never get a real appetite for a real meal and end up grazing on whatever is easily available, and sweets are easily available.

If you want to change that, make sweets less easily available and real food more readily available. Plan your meals, find recipes for dishes you like, and buy the ingredients you need to make them. Then make those meals and eat appropriate portions of them.

In case you are unsure what I mean by real food: Simple foods and single food ingredients that belong to single food groups - meat, fish, eggs and seafood, vegetables, (whole) grains and starchy vegetables, fruit and berries, nuts and seeds, dairy, fats and oils. These usually need some preparation at home, but they are easy to combine into real meals and they will be nutritious - meaning, you will be full and satisfied when eating appropriate amounts. They are also inexpensive, if you go for the right items, just to stop you from worrying about that.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love sweets and snack food too. I limit those items to the evening - after dinner. I find if I have something like that earlier in the day I just want to keep eating it all day. It is the kind of food that doesn't fill me up.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I find that munching on non-starchy vegetables (most effective are celery and broccoli, but I also nibble on carrots and yellow squash and zucchini for variety) helps me not be hungry. Your calorie goals are similar to mine, so feel free to poke around my diary. I apologize for the blank spots - last night I went out to eat and couldn't prelog, and I didn't get home until after midnight so I just went to bed XD

I think your protein goal is a bit lower than mine, though. Fiber is at 25, which mine is as well. I go over on fiber a LOT. Protein and fiber tend to help you feel fuller. To boost my protein intake, I often mix egg whites with soup or oatmeal ... really anything that's mixed and cooked! Haven't tried it in a casserole... YET... but that's just because I haven't had the chance! Just make sure to mix it in really good so that you don't get lumps of rubber. ;) Feel free to add me and ask anything you want. You can do this!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    The advice to increase protein is solid. Above is a good list of satiating foods as well. Also, be sure to eat with your appetite. Figure out your patterns. In my case, I save most of my calories for 3-7pm, because that is when I get really hungry. Once I figured this out it became very easy for me. I'm down to 1200 calories now and I'm never "starving". The key is knowing when I'm typically hungry and lots of protein. I keep 100 calorie/30g protein shakes in my car and at home so that if circumstances mess with my schedule, I've got it there to keep me on track.
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on the protein shakes. I have after dinner. Totally fills me up and being chocolate it has become dessert. Since doing this i dont eat biscuits, lollies or cake and can say i dont miss them at all.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.. A couple questions. Protein powders can it just be with cold water? I often need this for when I am working? Also I spend quite bit of time cold at work cause of the ac. Can that make me hungry? Example. I was starving after dinner and even with snacks. I got off at 11pm and went to Walmart to get a crock pot. . hunger signs went away once I got out of work and didn't return even though I was awake until about 2 am. I started my day off with 2 boiled eggs and haven't had severe hunger but then again I am not working. I think I am going to start wearing long sleeves. I haven't cause I don't want to be overly dressed and skip walking when I get time at work.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.. A couple questions. Protein powders can it just be with cold water? I often need this for when I am working? Also I spend quite bit of time cold at work cause of the ac. Can that make me hungry? Example. I was starving after dinner and even with snacks. I got off at 11pm and went to Walmart to get a crock pot. . hunger signs went away once I got out of work and didn't return even though I was awake until about 2 am. I started my day off with 2 boiled eggs and haven't had severe hunger but then again I am not working. I think I am going to start wearing long sleeves. I haven't cause I don't want to be overly dressed and skip walking when I get time at work.

I don't know about mixing protein powder with water, but I use unsweetened almond milk @ 30 calories/cup. I think the cold can definitely make a person more hungry. That and fatigue. BTW, don't get discouraged if you don't find a protein powder you like right off the bat. They are all very different. Personally, I can't stand whey and use a vanilla flavored pea protein powder.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Start tracking fiber, and make sure to hit the goal as well as protein and fat.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I know when i start my day with just a deviled egg (one hard boiled egg with dijonase mustard) instead of my usual fried egg on 110 calorie bagel with light baby belle cheese... i am way less hungry all day.

It is almost like ..the tastiness of the fried egg on a toasted cream cheese bagel stimulates my appetite all day.

So.. my suggestion is to look at your breakfast.. keep notes.. switch things around..and figure out what keeps you from thinking about food all day.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are getting 7-8 hrs of sleep. Not getting enough sleep can cause you to be hungrier the next day.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Take a sweater to work. Remove it for your walks. My job is like a meat locker. Sometimes I wear 2 sweaters which I remove the moment I step out the door.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    And I mix protein powder with either water or cold coffee, depending on time of day.
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't list how much water you drink so I would just suggest drinking more :).
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Idk if you are because your diary doesn't say, but drink as much water as humanly possible. I have trouble just drinking water all day so I started putting fruit in it or just a squeeze of lemon juice really helps. I have drank my protein shake with water and I didn't mind it at all. Keep a snack on hand you can eat throughout the day. For instance I just got the skinny girl chocolate brownie shake. The whole bottle is only 80 calories and I drink it between meals so I'm not starving (that's when I stop thinking and cravings kick in). Since it's already in my diary and has a fixed calorie, I don't have to worry about it and it settles a sweet tooth (which I don't really even have). Also if you are a sweet food lover there are a ton of alternatives like fruits. I'll try to list some.
    I feel like everyone has a fruit that they just love and can eat all day, mine is coconut in any form! (pressed, juice, dried chips, fresh, etc).
    You can make a healthy and sweet drizzle to put on things for a little extra like honey. I know some people water down peanut butter, chocolate, or jam so it's a low calorie drizzle.
    If I'm REALLY craving something, I tell my bf "I'm going to have 1/1 tiny bite" so he knows to stop me after. Honestly the 1st bite is amazing and everything after that is mindless eating for me so it's all I need.
    Gum! They come in all kinds of flavors and have maybe 5 calories that you can chew on forever so it's a good option if you are just craving flavor.
    If your food options ever taste bland, there is always a way to kick it up how you want it. Experiment or even come on here and ask. I was putting mustard on my sandwich and the people here gave me a TON of ideas I never would have thought of.