Frustrated!

Options
2»

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It's far, far too soon.

Calories are king for weight loss despite what a few others say. You cannot lose weight if you eat too many calories. Measure your intake correctly using a digital food scale and choose accurate food database entries when you log.

Stop eating under your calorie goal; your deficit is already built in. Eat the number mfp gives you. Eating above that number does not equal weight gain, either, unless you eat over your maintenance which is usually 250-1000 calories above.

Use a food scale
    Calories are NOT the only part of losing "weight". I always get shot down when I say this but water also shows up on the scale. If you have any thing in your diet that is causing you to hold water such as excess sodium the scale will weigh the water the same as it weighs the fat, muscle, skeleton and internal organs. So just do some detective work to see if this could be part of it.

?
    Water weight isn't associated with calories. They're two different things. Calories affect the fat loss or gain rate. Water weight can be caused by excess sodium (as you said), hormonal changes (especially TOM/Menopause for women), excess carbs, a start or increase o physical activities. Water weight is no big deal.

The way calories work:
    Eat the same amount of calories your body needs to maintain its current weight: Weight maintains
    Eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight: Weight gain
    Eat less calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight: Weight loss.

Basic human physiology. Proven science.

It is always a good idea to use a tape measure to measure your progress, too.

OP...under no circumstaces eat below 1200.
    I know that MFP gave me 1,840 calories a day to start. Which was way too many. I lowered it to 1,640 and as long as I stay between that and 1,000 calories, I see consistent losses. Please don't give up! :)

@lyndawhite2010 Eat the calories MFP gives you, not under. You're not meant to eat under, and 1000 is FAR too little!!!! It's not too many if you chose 2lbs per week on sedentary. Remember, mfp calories are the calories without exercise, so every time you exercise, you add on about half of those calories to consume back.

My point IS that water weight matters on the scale. I know how calories work. I did NOT say water weight isn't associated with calories. I said to check the sodium to see if that could be a little high. Water weight does matter because that is what keeps us bloated.