Cabbage recipe help

Options
evesmom2
evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I made this recipe a number of months ago. Hubby and I ate some, then I put the leftovers in a food saver bag (vacuum sealed) and put it in the freezer. Now I want to eat it but I have no clue as to how to figure out the calories.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235997/unstuffed-cabbage-roll/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 19

It says there is 389 calories for 6 servings. But how big is a serving? And we ate some.
So this is what I did and please tell me if I'm right/wrong and/or what I can do to figure this out.

I googled grams for all the ingredients and came up with:
Gr Beef 908
Onion 110
Cabbage 850
Tomatoes 822
Tomato sauce 225
Garlic 6
Total: 2921
Divided by 6 is 487 grams per serving.

When it unthaws for dinner tonight, then say I take 1.5 cups, weigh it in grams, how do I figure out how many calories. Math is not my best subject

Edit: I don't know how they came up with 389 calories, I came up with 605/serving with MFP recipe builder. But that still doesn't solve my problem. 2921 grams and 3635 calories total. Do I just divide 3635 by 2921 to get calories per gram?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You would need to weigh the whole batch (net weight) to know the right amount per serving, and then weigh out the servings. One gram = one serving is a much used hack in here. I wouldn't worry so much if that's too late this time, just make it a habit when you cook.

Oh, you can't calculate the weight of the complete dish from the weight of the ingredients - water gets absorbed and evaporates depending on the food, and quite unrelibly too, depending on time and cooking style. When you didn't even weigh the ingredients, but base the calculations on estimations, the result is going to be so off that it's practically useless.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So I can't determine the calories in the food I'm going to eat for dinner?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Find a generic entry for cabbage soup and use that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can't determine the calories, but you can make an educated guess, if you followed the recipe, and the recipe's number of calories per serving is reliable. Just say you ate half the batch, and that leaves three servings of 389 calories each.