How to deal with a dinner party where it will be hard to track calories?

Options
I have a big shindig tonight.... It will be a catered banquet. There will be a lot going on, and I may not be able to carry my phone and check the MFP app every time I eat. I'm thinking that I'll carry it and log if/when I'm able to... and then after it's over, come home and log whatever I can. Just to keep me in a good frame of mind during the event so that I feel like I need to be accountable. I could, of course, just scratch the whole thing, not log, and start again tomorrow morning. Would like to hear if you have any helpful advice!

Replies

• phnxrth
    phnxrth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go out to lots of fancy restaurants. I drink lots of water, sparkling water, cold or hot herb tea with no sugar. I look for the lightest items on the menu, never eat after I've started to feel full, try to stop just before I feel full. I try to fill up before dessert, since that's usually high calorie and not the most nutritious. I also try to balance 'eating right' with not depriving myself, in other words listen to what I want and just give in sometimes. I think it can be harder when you know 'good' food. There's one restaurant where I just don't count calories because it's a splurge experience. If this banquet is that for you, maybe you should just go for it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    eat light all day.. exercise for an hour (cardio) and eat at the shindig.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Just make the best guess you can. If you have been weighing and logging for a while you should have a fairly good idea of what portion sizes look like. There will always be things like this that come up and as long as these kind of meals are the exception instead of the rule then it won't derail you. I also think that if it isn't too obnoxious taking a picture of your plate is a good idea. Then you can log it later and not have to worry about looking things up. I would try to at least log something but not worry too much if it isn't accurate. You can get back to it tomorrow.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Small portions of what you like, best honest guesstimate. It's ok if you go over because it's not an everyday thing.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    OK, I will take a note of what I eat and log when I get home.

There may be lots of tables.... Food and desserts everywhere with lots of temptation... But I will just be conscientious and enjoy the party. Hopefully. Hopefully I won't use the inability to log as an excuse to eat 500 desserts.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    After a lot of years on this site, I would suggest - just don't be that person who obsesses over every item, asks, "What's in this?" tries to log food instead of enjoying the party and who spends the conversation focusing on calories, nutrition, weight-loss etc.

If you do that, you'll be on here tomorrow making a, "My friends are rude," post.

Parties are supposed to be fun, relaxing, a way to let go a little. :)

LOL!!! Don't worry. I won't do that! I will have fun and relax and let go a little. I do need that!!! I just don't want to end up overeating to the point where I think, "Well, why bother trying?" and throw in the towel. I have done that before!
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Absolutely make it a day to enjoy yourself, but definitely try to log any way you can (pictures is a great idea, I carry a notebook everywhere with me so that works for me too). On my cheat days I think logging is maybe even more important personally. How you act in an uncontrollable environment is interesting and I've watched even my bad habits change for the better doing this. It also teaches me how to be better in these situations without having to worry about tracking everything on the spot.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    OK, I will take a note of what I eat and log when I get home.

There may be lots of tables.... Food and desserts everywhere with lots of temptation... But I will just be conscientious and enjoy the party. Hopefully. Hopefully I won't use the inability to log as an excuse to eat 500 desserts.

And you know what? If you eat more than you intend to, there is no reason to feel guilty. It won't "ruin all of your progress." Just get up the next day and continue on as if nothing happened. There is no reason to feel bad over a one-off indulgence.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @suzievv I think we can all relate. I had a birthday luncheon this week at a Mexican restaurant. It turned out they had a guacamole salad that was just guacamole, lettuce, cheese and tomato. Being LCHF for the past two years that was what I had and it was awesome. The banquets are much harder for me. I got messed up at one last month. Now I will often eat something at works for me before hand just to be on the safe side so I am not starving when it comes time to eat. Now having been LCHF for 2 years I can go 8-12 hours without eating without having a brain crash which helps. Most all banquets start with a salad so I find at will tie me over if the meal choice is far far from my eating macro.

Best of success. Since you are pre thinking the event I am sure you will be fine. Even eating wrong for one meal does not often lead to a premature death. :)
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    I wouldn't obsess about logging everything. Do your best afterwards. I usually refuse bread and if it's possible, I go without dressing on my salad (it may not be, sometimes at these things they dress the salads ahead of time). Drink lots of water and eat smaller portions. And enjoy yourself!
  • ChelseaHeights
    ChelseaHeights Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's not the once in a while events that make us gain weight, it's what happens the next day. Enjoy yourself, don't overdo it and move on!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    After a lot of years on this site, I would suggest - just don't be that person who obsesses over every item, asks, "What's in this?" tries to log food instead of enjoying the party and who spends the conversation focusing on calories, nutrition, weight-loss etc.

If you do that, you'll be on here tomorrow making a, "My friends are rude," post.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking what is in something.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Log if you want. Don't if you don't want to bother.
    I would eat lighter that day so I would have more calories that night or eat lighter the next few days. I would eat a reasonable amount of food and then stop. I would not stress about one day.