Reasonable amount of calories in a sandwich

Options
I was excited when I realized that one of my favorite on the go sandwiches had 450 calories. Today I made a sandwich at home for about 445 calories. I know part of it is 200 calories for the bread.

But is that under 500 calories good / reasonable for a sandwich? I'm just not sure how many calories healthy versions of things have.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Half a sandwich would be half the calories. I would instead ask myself if 450 calories is reasonable for the satity/satisfaction it provides, is it easy to fit in with the rest of your day's diet?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I was excited when I realized that one of my favorite on the go sandwiches had 450 calories. Today I made a sandwich at home for about 445 calories. I know part of it is 200 calories for the bread.

But is that under 500 calories good / reasonable for a sandwich? I'm just not sure how many calories healthy versions of things have.

What is your idea of a sandwich? What do you put in yours?

I just looked back over a few days of my diary and found home made sandwiches ranging from 150 to 280 calories. Also one day a restaurant sandwich was 650 and another was 402 calories, but I don't do that often.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    A suggestion ...try "flat out" bread wraps..they are 90, 100, and 130 calories. I make a sandwich wrap with those.. you can get your calories way down with that. I use the 90 calorie 9 grams of protein with flax seed wrap.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For me what I determine reasonable is not the same as what you determine reasonable.. It's what fits your calories..

A 350 calorie (with 45 - 50 calorie bread slices) is my reasonable.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The sammich I ate for lunch today was 310 calories and I was pretty satisfied with it.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Since I'm on a 1200-1400cal/day....and I try to divide those evenly between 3 meals with room for a snack....350 cal sandwich is reasonable for me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I had a sandwich that was 800 calories today. It tased reasonable to me. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and how you choose to break up your calories throughout the day.
    I regularly have 300-500 calorie lunches and dinners. A 500 calorie sandwich fits my goals.so it isn't unreasonable. I probably would have nothing with it. A typical sandwich for me is more like 300 calories and I might have a salad or something with it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    for losing I TRY to stick to 325 ish for a sandwich. If i don't care I could easily have a 800 calorie sandwich which is reasonable to my forever hungry brain.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use sandwich thins- wheat which is 100 calories and with added ingredients it comes to 300-400 calories.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a hard time making a sandwich under 500 calories so I don't make them too often.
    A "healthy" version is whatever you want to make it. My favorite sandwich, for instance, has chicken, apples, bean sprouts, pesto, and white cheese on pumpernickel. I think it's easily over 500 calories, but I wouldn't say anything on it is unheathy. It's just high in calories, and totally worth it to me. If it fits your goals, have your sandwich how you like it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think 500ish for a sandwich is reasonable. I'd likely have it with veggies or fruit and that would be plenty for me, totaling around 600 calories.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    When I make them, sandwiches are meals and therefore a perfectly reasonable for me 6-800 calories.

My sandwiches are never not healthy. It's not like I'm eating mold covered bread containing raw chicken I slathered with mayo that's been left in 95ºF weather for 24 hours and unwashed Listeria covered vegetables. :)

YMMV.
  • briana_aka_bunny
    briana_aka_bunny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    U could lose the bread and wrap ur inners in a piece of lettuce. My mom can't eat gluten so she does this
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep the bread, go with thinly sliced ham, pickles, and lettuce OR any assortment of low calories insides.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Personally if it's over 250 I ain't eating it. But the veggies and fruit on the side are part of my calorie allowance for the lunch in total so it all adds up to more like 350.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My sandwiches are usually just a single ingredient slapped on bread, and if I want to get fancy, 2 ingredients. So for me, anything above 250 calories in a sandwich is usually not worth it (unless it's that 1400 falafel sandwich from that local falafel place, not once have I skipped meals to have one). If you are making grand sandwiches and they are satisfying to you, don't be sidetracked by the fact that it's a sandwich. The way I classify "reasonably worth it" is if it's reasonably filling for the same calories as my other filling typical choices, or if it's so good that I'm willing to not be full to have it and even sacrifice other meals for it. If it's both, now that's a holy grail I'm happy to savor. Doesn't matter what the food is, judge it by how much it's worth the calories for you.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    that amount of calories seems reasonable for a meal, the real question is does it fill you up? If not then it is too many, if it does then perfect! Yeah I hate how much calories are added by bread so I started using the pita pockets instead. I know a lot of people do wraps, but I just can't get into that. As long as your meal fills you up it's good if it doesn't and is too many calories cut it down a little and add in snacks.