Is it Possible to Eat Too Much Fruit?!

Options
I consistently go over on sugar but its from fruit... can this be contributing to my not losing weight and possible weight gain?!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Nope. It is better to track carbs than sugar since they are related.

Check out this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74098-tracking-sugar?hl=tracking+sugar#posts-1007413
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. It will affect weight sometimes. I know a lot of people here on MFP have no problem with going over on sugars (especially from fruits and vegetables), but it looks like you're the exception. Cut back on your sugar intake. I know it doesn't seem right for fruit to be stalling your weight loss because it's been viewed as the healthiest of options. We're all different, though. Some people have trouble losing weight when they go over on sodium, carbs, etc.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I was advised by my personal trainer to cut back on the amount of fruit I was eating and try to eat vegetables instead. His explanation was that eating high sugar foods, including fruit can lead to peaks and troughs in your energy levels. This can lead to feeling tired, craving sugar and snacking. I have followed his advice and eat lots more veggies and have increased my complex carbs like brown rice to keep energy levels more constant. I have found that I feel fuller for longer and I no longer snack, especially in the evening. I'm not trying to say this is right for everyone but I have found this to be really effective for me and has helped me lose the weight I wanted to. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen from your food diary, I'd cut out all drinks that have sugar in them, packaged snacks/bars, and that yogurt (find one that has a lot less sugar) and add more fruit. You're going over your sugar limit with processed sugar not natural sugar from fruit. There isn't a lot of fruit in your diary to begin with.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me personally , if I don't eat fresh fruit everyday I seem to stop losing. Everybody is different. Just do what works for you .
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your food diary. There's a very minimal amount of sugar coming from fruits. Fruit and nut trail mixes and snack bars are often made with tons of added sugar. As for the Edy's fruit bar, that just doesn't count as fruit at all. I have a box myself and I noticed that one of the very first ingredients is sugar. Maybe your weight wouldn't be affected as much if all your sugars were /really/ coming from all fruits and veggies.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    For me personally , if I don't eat fresh fruit everyday I seem to stop losing. Everybody is different. Just do what works for you .

Yes, I know exactly what you mean on this.

Some fruit also, although it has sugar in it can be beneficial in other areas ie lemon in water, is, well for me anyway, beneficial and helps me no end and oranges, I adore them, and grapes and apples, strawberrys too! Damn, I like most all fruit and will eat it all :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I consistently go over on sugar but its from fruit... can this be contributing to my not losing weight and possible weight gain?!

I haven't looked at your food diary, but Yes, it can...............

Please read these articles..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1029501/Can-fruit-make-fat-Natural-sugar-fruit-fuelling-nations-obesity-epidemic.html

http://www.providence.org/oregon/health_resource_centers/nutrition/askanexpert_fruit.htm
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I was advised by my personal trainer to cut back on the amount of fruit I was eating and try to eat vegetables instead. His explanation was that eating high sugar foods, including fruit can lead to peaks and troughs in your energy levels. This can lead to feeling tired, craving sugar and snacking. I have followed his advice and eat lots more veggies and have increased my complex carbs like brown rice to keep energy levels more constant. I have found that I feel fuller for longer and I no longer snack, especially in the evening. I'm not trying to say this is right for everyone but I have found this to be really effective for me and has helped me lose the weight I wanted to. Good luck with your weight loss.

You have a really good trainer!!!! That is the best advice I have seen from posted that someone's trainer has said............
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am still loosing weight but go over my sugars everyday mostly because of fruit.