Help!! How did you break through a plateau??

Options
Swehl
Swehl Posts: 138 Member
I'm definitely in need of advice/tips!! Please help. I have hit a wall in my weight loss :/ I've been the same weight for the past month, and the inches have only changed like 1 inch total. I stick to a 1200-1400 calorie diet, and I do both cardio and strength training every week. I've picked up jogging/running. I'm getting frustrated. The first 3 months of healthy eating and exercising I lost 20 pounds, and now the scale won't move. What has helped you break through a plateau??

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A year and half ago I started eating more, setting my goals according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Haven't hit a plateau since - just steady fat loss. :smile:
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Assumig you've actually hit a plateau, maybe it's time to modify what you're doing to accommodate your current body/activity level.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling helped me break a 2 month plateau! I have stuck with it ever since. :)
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A year and half ago I started eating more, setting my goals according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

I am in the same boat and have started following ^^ this advice to eat at my TDEE - 20% for a while. Not noticing any change yet but am trying to be patient as it has only been 2 weeks. Will let you know if it starts helping!! I've been stuck for AGES at the same 20-25 pounds overweight since hitting menopause. :(
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I am in the same boat and have started following ^^ this advice to eat at my TDEE - 20% for a while. Not noticing any change yet but am trying to be patient as it has only been 2 weeks. Will let you know if it starts helping!! I've been stuck for AGES at the same 20-25 pounds overweight since hitting menopause. :(
    Hang in there - it can take the body 4-6 weeks to adjust to the new intake and start seeing results. Make sure you are also taking progress photos and measurements! At one point I saw no change on my scale (other than up and down the same three pounds) for about six months, but during that time I lost a lot of inches and fat, dropping a full size.

Best move I ever made was switching to the Road Map!
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options
    Mix things up... Do some different workouts.. eat some different foods... eat back your exercise calories a couple times a week... work out at a different time of day....

Without more details I don't know if you are doing this, but it helped me out. If your body gets used to doing the same thing, it will not work as hard because it "knows" what to expect.
  • trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I actually just broke through a 6 week plateau by reducing the amount of exercise