Still looking big in pictures...

Options
Sigh. I went hiking yesterday, I had a pretty tight hiking outfit with my sweater tied around my waist. I'm the smallest I've ever been, 38/29/36, with almost no fat left on my ribs (which you can see clearly). The outfit actually looked good on me...

Yet I look big on the picture someone took of me - and it's just from the waist up, so you can't even see my problem area (hips).

Sometimes I just want to cry because it seems like a total losing battle because of my stupid genetics and my large torso!

Is anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10457680/100-lbs-lost-as-of-today-before-after-pics/p1 Be sure to read the OP's comments.

I know if I don't love myself just the way I am (still fat), I will not love myself when I am thin. It's hard to let go of my 'wishful thinking' vision of myself, especially when I see so many beautiful, fit people on this site. I know I will never look like them.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi - I also share your frustration, although the body bits that bother me are different. Like Alluminati postulates, you may have some body dysmorphia. I certainly do. You KNOW you looked good in that outfit and you FELT good. You are fit and your BMI is likely in a great range. I don't know how to fix our perceptions when we look at ourselves in photos, the mirror, etc., however, you wanted to know if others are in the same boat as you... I'm in that boat, too.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I want to barf any time I see photos of my self. I was mortified one year at Easter when my sister took a lot of photos at our Easter gathering. I later saw these photos and all I could see was fat gut, fat arms, double chin, fat arms. The fat butt didn't bother me because I think a fat butt and thighs is nice. Someone else up there mentioned comparing photos from "back then" with more recent ones. It could help you to see the difference I think.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Danika wrote: »
    I totally know how you feel. Camera angles matter SO much and being caught at the wrong angle can be quite unflattering. Check out the two photos below...taken within seconds of each other. I think one is much more flattering than the other.

1p7sh6fcnu2y.jpg
    217f04ebpn3y.jpg

I think the top photo is more flattering. Different angles can really play tricks on the eye. Great post!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No I currently look big in every pic lol.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Now come on...I think most people hate photos of themselves..except millennials who grew up with selfies and posing for Facebook twitter photos. My daughter takes great photos...because she has got her "best side" and poses down! Older women, we don't spend time taking photos of ourselves finding out how to exactly make ourselves look our best.

So... I suggest you actually practice..take a lot of photos of yourself and figure out your best side...

also.. clothes matter.. if your outfit was too tight.. it could look good to you because you're in a smaller size..where in reality .. a larger size might make you look thinner... it is all illusions.. but your are not fat.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is a disconnect between how you look in the photos and your mental image of an ideal body.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any pics taken of me lately, but I have a problem with the mirrors at the gym. I still look bigger than I want to be in certain wide mirrors. I've lost 25 pounds and am 5'5", 135 pounds. I'm guessing a bit of body dysmorphia is going on.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is a disconnect between how you look in the photos and your mental image of an ideal body.

I agree with your post. It takes a long while for the brain to catch up with how you actually look. Also we are Our Own Worst Enemy as far as judging ourselves.

Also the other Factor you have to consider is that when you look at magazines or videos all those pictures are either Photoshop or the camera angles are set up a certain way that actuate the better look.

There's a YouTube video out there and it starts with a super hot blonde and they showed how they photoshoped her. The video runs backwards and the hot blonde started as a slice of pizza.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You look cute. And you're also straight on which makes all of us look our heaviest. AND the lenses on cell phones make everyone look fat. You've got great curves. Keep hiking. You're doing great.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Blame it on the photographer. Some people really struggle to take a decent picture (*cough* my husband *cough*), where my kid can pick up my phone, aim it for .0023 microseconds, and come up with a great selfie of her an me

Hehe, sounds familiar. My kids take great selfies too, in no time. That's because they practice a lot ;)
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mind games, mental state, bad photographer/pose/light... I have lost a total of 40lbs and there are times in which I feel I look great, new muscles showing and all. And sometimes, even within an hour, it all flips back to negative and I feel like that 189lbs person from a few years ago.
    I don't compare myself to other people as much as I used to. It is more natural to eat healthy and not crave the 'ultra bad' stuff anymore, if I give in to the 'so-called bad foods' I can finally do it immoderation without feeling angry, sad or deprived.
    But I have to remind myself of all these positive changes constantly. I do think most of us who have gone through a lengthy unhealthy period of time, will end up with varying degrees of body dysmorphia. Most of us can analyze it and work towards positive thinking, some of us may need a little extra help!
    It's a daily exercise, but your mind will soon enough catch up to your healthier body!!!! Remember to not give in to the self-defeating thoughts!!!! :)