Sunday Roast Dinner

Started my fitness pal Almost a week ago! Going really well so far!

My favourite meal of the week is a Sunday roast....Today we are having pork...yummy....then I worked out how many calories are in a roast dinner.....SHOCKING!! I'm on a 1200 calorie a day so do I have the roast or not!? Lol

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This is where you decide if you want your whole days calories to be used up in this one meal..

You can eat half of your normal portion, and still leave room for something else.

Personally my weekends are like this when I am in a calorie deficit. Yesterday I ate out, and this was 1200 calories, which was 80% of my day.. same difference here. I wanted the meal I ate yesterday so I compromised.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    The pork itself is probably only about 250-300 calories a serving. Gravy and side dishes can add up, depending on how they're prepared. My goal is to eat as normally as possible so I'd go ahead and have dinner with my family, but I'd have smaller portions. I love the idea of a traditional sit-down weekly meal. Food is social IMO.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    I always have a roast
    But since being on a diet I don't have the potatoes

So it's meat and veg with a quarter the amount of gravy is usually have for me

• DaisyChain80
    DaisyChain80 Posts: 109 Member
    I've decided no potatoes or Yorkshire puddings
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Save calories for this meal.
    Eat smaller portions.
    Choose to eat only part of it and sub in more lower calorie vegetables. Eat the meat with a salad for example.
    If you are the one cooking then try to reduce calories while cooking.
    http://www.hungryhealthyhappy.com/how-to-have-a-healthy-roast-dinner/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/healthy-recipes/art-20047004 http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_go_vegetarian/recipe_makeover.html
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited September 2016
    I've decided no potatoes or Yorkshire puddings

That would work. or choose a small portion of one or the other?

edit: I THINK a 3" piece of yorkshire pudding is only around 100 cals. but then again, mine always absorbs everything near it.
  • twistedwoman
    twistedwoman Posts: 47 Member
    I have a roast each Sunday but have chicken, sweet potato which I roast with some spray oil, broccoli and green beans. Not massive calories and yummy.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    1200 calories seems low. I would eat the roast and the sides but that's me.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    I make Sunday roast (prime rib so not lean cut at all lol) often with roasted potatoes, carrots and beets and Yorkshire pudding. I either eat smaller portions or make sure Sunday is my "long run" day so I have lots of calorie room. You should be able to work it in! I could never give it up - too yummy :D
  • DaisyChain80
    @Chef_Barbell you are right but I'm only 5ft and that's the amount MFP worked out that I should be eating to lose 1-2 lb a week
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    @Chef_Barbell you are right but I'm only 5ft and that's the amount MFP worked out that I should be eating to lose 1-2 lb a week

Then I would learn how to incorporate roasts into your lifestyle. Sounds too yummy to give up to me.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited September 2016
    My lunch is 700 to 800 calories almost every day. I just don't eat breakfast any more, out if I absolutely need something I have a Greek yogurt cup or fruit to keep the calories down.
  • DaisyChain80
    I have a breakfast and an evening meal but for lunch I will just have salad with a little light mayo
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I stick to a small serving of roast meat, one potato piece (maybe 2 if they are small) and more of other veges (carrots, parsnips, greens), and easy on the gravy. We don't often make yorkshire puds, fortunately! I would definitely have some if it's on offer.

Also, if I have a big, filling roast dinner, I often find I'm not all that hungry the following day and can shave a few calories off my intake (also on 1200).

Enjoy it!