Nutritionist says I'm not losing weight because I'm not eating enough GRAINS?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She is following the FDA pyramid thing probably, which I don't buy into personlly. I however think grains DO have a role in weight loss, if you are eating quinoa, brown rice, millet, and other higher protein and filling grains. Not bread. Pair healthy grains with lots of veggies and small amount of beans (or meat if you eat meat) and you will be full and stay full. And probably you'll eat what is considered 2 servings for dinner (a cup of grains is prob 2 servings). I don't think you have to push for 5 but also think hearty grains do help you feel full, they have vitamins etc. and can be helpful in losing weight and not feeling deprived.

Have a role? sure. Needed to make weight loss happen? No.
    Agreed, that a good hearty whole grain can make compliance easier, sure.

I also think it's relevant to consider WHO came up with the pyramid. not FDA but USDA.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She is following the FDA pyramid thing probably, which I don't buy into personlly. I however think grains DO have a role in weight loss, if you are eating quinoa, brown rice, millet, and other higher protein and filling grains. Not bread. Pair healthy grains with lots of veggies and small amount of beans (or meat if you eat meat) and you will be full and stay full. And probably you'll eat what is considered 2 servings for dinner (a cup of grains is prob 2 servings). I don't think you have to push for 5 but also think hearty grains do help you feel full, they have vitamins etc. and can be helpful in losing weight and not feeling deprived.

I also think it's relevant to consider WHO came up with the pyramid. not FDA but USDA.

Yeah, people seem not to notice how strange is that the Department of Agriculture tells you what to eat (same in Italy)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I finally was able to see a nutritionist, and when I say I begged her for help, I mean it. The last four years in high school and college I've been yo-yoing between 20lbs. I would lose weight by restricting my calories to a low amount (1000-1200 cal/day and I'm 5'8") and the pounds would just come back when I tried to eat like a "normal person". My nutritionist just told me that I need to eat at least 5 servings of grains a day (and I'm usually eating 0-1), in order to help me to lose weight. I've been struggling to believe her and can't seem to find the research to back that opinion. I eat a lot of protein, fruits and veggies, and I gain weight VERY easily and have a larger body type. Im also very athletic (weight training and running and other cardio) but I've never needed grains to get energy (although I am tired a lot)... Any advice ????

Fire the nutritionist, simply eat at a calorie defict and you will lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yeah, people seem not to notice how strange is that the Department of Agriculture tells you what to eat (same in Italy)
    Yes, it's...strange, and could be construed a conflict of interest I suppose.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

LOL Yes! A balanced diet according to USDA. :D
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Is why if it has "government" on it I don't pay attention to it. For goodness sake they can't balance their own checkbook. How they suppose to balance *my* diet. *shakes head*

Still can't figure out this nutritionist thing. Think I'm with everyone else. Put her on the unemployment line.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Since everyone else has already covered how awful your nutritionist is, I'd like to address your lack of energy.

If you're highly active, it's possible that your deficit is too aggressive. I can really understand wanting to shed your weight as quickly as possible, but that isn't the smartest way to go about it if you're energy levels are plummeting. It's best to find a balance of calorie intake and activity levels that keeps you feeling energetic throughout the day and learning new habits with food in order to make lasting changes.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Seems like maintenance is your problem, not losing?

You can't go back to "normal" eating because you end up 20 pounds higher than you want to be. For some people, by the time they get near to goal weight the difference between "diet" and "maintenance" calories can be a handful of nuts a day.

One thing that some people do is to reverse diet once they get to goal weight, adding maybe 100 calories a day the first week, then another 100 the next week, etc. until they find a stable calorie and weight level (using a weight trending app to smooth out temporary fluctuations). This will give you the maximum calories you can eat and still maintain at your desired level.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is one way of eating that would fit everyone. The Healthy Eating Plate (a refinement of the MyPlate concept https://hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/) is a good place to start for many people - half of the plate fruit/veg, 1/4 whole grains, and 1/4 protein. For many, this would be a major step for the better. That being said, all you really need to do to lose weight is to eat less than you burn.