Just got my food scale!

Options
I just bought my first food scale and I'm pretty excited about it. I was wondering if there's any tips or tricks anyone could share?

One of the things I like the most about it is that it measures in ounces and grams. Since I've mostly used cups and tablespoons for measuring, I feel like I don't have as many expectations about what makes a 'proper' portion.

Replies

• LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new scale!! You will learn fast! I even weigh slices of bread and have found that they are hardly ever the weight on the nutrition label. Most often they weigh more!! A lot of foods seem to weigh more than the labels, so you will be able to tighten up on your calories!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    My go to advice is have tissues ready when you weigh the nut butters and cereal. :)

• chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One of the most important items to aid your nutrition!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Tip: Depending on the design of the scale, a large plate set on the scale can obscure the readout. If this happens, place a cereal bowl on the scale, then set the flat plate on top of it. You'll be able to see the readout easily.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've had mixed results with weighing things that are super light. For example, chia seeds I seem to have to put 2 spoonfuls before it even notices I've put anything (and at that point it should be close, if not over the 15g serving) so I've started weighing the bag, zeroing out and then seeing how much I took out instead. My new one seems to work much better that way.