Need a bit of guidance...

Options
I always thought we can eat as much white fish or shellfish as we like, although we should limit our oily fish intake because of the mercury, etc. I don't like meat but I love fish and seafood. I eat white fish (haddock, pollock, cod) 3 - 4 times a week and salmon or seafood 1 - 2 times a week. Canned tuna maybe one or twice a month. Many of my colleagues told me it isn't healthy either. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of needing to limit white fish or seafood.

Did your work colleague tell you why it was unhealthy?
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of needing to limit white fish or seafood.

Did your work colleague tell you why it was unhealthy?

No, they didn't. But many of them have an ulster fry, sausage rolls, etc. for breakfast almost every day, so I took their advice with a pinch of salt and decided to ask here...
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    Options
    Just looked this up online and it sounds like large fish like shark, swordfish and some types of tuna should be limited (especially by pregnant women) due to potentially high mercury levels. Think most other types of fish are fine and oily fish in particular are recommended as sources of omega 3 and good cholesterol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just looked this up online and it sounds like large fish like shark, swordfish and some types of tuna should be limited (especially by pregnant women) due to potentially high mercury levels. Think most other types of fish are fine and oily fish in particular are recommended as sources of omega 3 and good cholesterol

This is what I've understood.

OP: don't dismiss sardines. They are awesome on a salad!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I usually just eat them plain, or with crackers, but I'm going to have try them on a salad.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Most of the fish you eat is low in mercury. If you are or might get pregnant you should not eat large fish and limit fish consumption to about 12 ounces/week. I love fish and eat it most days. I'm not too worried because I am postmenopausal and have no symptoms but I know the mercury is there. Here's a link to the FDA's recommendations.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm110591.htm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I usually just eat them plain, or with crackers, but I'm going to have try them on a salad.

It's awesome. I buy them at costco and use the oil they come in as my "dressing". I get this kind.
    http://www.costco.com/Imported-Skinless-%26-Boneless-Sardines-in-Olive-Oil-3.75-oz.-Can-12-count.product.100149594.html
  • mmnv79
    Options

I love grilled sardines with Greek salad and feta cheese. Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano and pepper in a bowl and add cherry tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, feta, onion and olives. :)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    there's also the fish from Sth EAst Asian waters having higher levels of heavy metals so try to eat northern water fish - like haddock and cod rather than say Basa fillets...

that's about it though other than what has already been said above!
  • mmnv79
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    Most of the fish you eat is low in mercury. If you are or might get pregnant you should not eat large fish and limit fish consumption to about 12 ounces/week. I love fish and eat it most days. I'm not too worried because I am postmenopausal and have no symptoms but I know the mercury is there. Here's a link to the FDA's recommendations.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm110591.htm

Thanks. I am not planning on getting pregnant. I eat salmon once or twice a week (mostly once a week). I just checked and each fillet has 130 grams. I love fresh tuna but it's very expensive here, I may buy it a couple of times a year. I have canned tuna once in a while, approx two to four times a month. Each Isabel tuna salad bowl portion weights 85g, but it contains sweetcorn, green beans, sweet peppers, etc. as well, so there's only approx 40 grams of tuna.

I believe 12 ounces are approx 340 grams, so I eat much less of the max recommended then. I knew I shouldn't listen to people who has an ulster fry and sausage rolls almost every morning... :)