Newbie to nutrition

Options
Hi all! Joined mfp to lose a few pounds by calorie counting but have become really interested in tracking my nutrients. Should we be aiming to get the bar to the top every day for every nutrient? If anyone has any links I could read up that round be great!

Replies

• bloodblackstone
    bloodblackstone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make no assuption. Track for a week. Then adjust. Then track for 2 weeks
    Then adjust
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Joined mfp to lose a few pounds by calorie counting but have become really interested in tracking my nutrients. Should we be aiming to get the bar to the top every day for every nutrient? If anyone has any links I could read up that round be great!

No. Some nutrient goals (trans fat, saturated fat, and sodium) are intended to be maximums; some are intended to be minimums (fiber, vitamins, and minerals other than sodium), although there may be recommended maximums that are not shown in your goals; some are widely viewed by MFP users as minimums (protein, fat). There are no goals for polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, and they show up on MFP as 0, which is just wrong (poly and mono unsaturated fats are generally categorized in national health advices and other mainstream medical sources as "good fats").
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I like what the posters above stated, and sometimes It depends on the person. Are there any nutrients that your body struggles to absorb? For instance, I adjusted my diary to focus on iron and calcium because, among other health issues, I have both anemia and osteoporosis. So I try to go way above the limit in order to maintain. For people without anemia though, too much iron can result in a health hazard. So just monitor what you eat, a wide range of protein and vegetables should cover your basis without going overboard.