meals that dont need refrigeration?

Options
My bf gets free lunch at work but this week they are putting him in another building and he's heard the food offered is terrible so he probably won't eat it. I want to make him something but there's also no fridge, anybody have ideas? I know him and he will just go without and be way under his calories for the day.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I bring chicken to work. I put the portion I want in the freezer the night before and it stays reasonably cold until lunchtime.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If there is a kettle instant noodles
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich
    Tuna straight out of the can (one of my favorites)
    Depending on how warm/cool it is where he can store it, a number of meats might make it until lunchtime.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No kettle I dont think. Tuna is a good idea maybe I can add some stuff to it. I just dont trust cookedyet frozen meat. Scared it will either still be frozen or that it warmed up too quick.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can do pretty much anything if you pack it with an ice pack or two. If you don't have ice packs on hand, I put water in sponges and freeze them in zipbloc bags. That way there is no mess! Leftovers are always good!
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    You can do pretty much anything if you pack it with an ice pack or two. If you don't have ice packs on hand, I put water in sponges and freeze them in zipbloc bags. That way there is no mess! Leftovers are always good!
    Wow thats an innovative icepack! Might actually try that. I really should buy some icepacks but haven't gotten around to it.

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thermos food jar will keep the food hot. Then you can have soup or chili, any leftovers really. I send my husband's and son's lunches in these and they are still hot 3-4 hours later. My son loves mac and cheese in his, or try rice with veggies and chicken.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    Wow thats an innovative icepack! Might actually try that. I really should buy some icepacks but haven't gotten around to it.

They even sell them at the dollar store - a frozen water bottle is my other go to, especially when my daughter has a field trip that requires a completely disposable lunch.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Lunch bag with ice blocks. I travel in my car all day and do this and my food stays cold. When I get to my next patient and have a minute, I use their microwave to warm up stuff.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    my husband is a pro bike rider so i make him lunch and hes out all day riding or looking for spots to ride. i use a cold packs for cold things like shushi, salads, wraps, sandwiches ect and i use a thermal container for hot things like soups, mac and cheese, pasta, pot pie ect.. It says warm until he eats it and the cold stuff stays cold with a lunch box and an ice pack.
    here is the thermal
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E4VIO4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474258731&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=lunch+bots+soup&dpPl=1&dpID=41KYBnDG3TL&ref=plSrch
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A thermal can be used to keep things cold as well. There are some cold soups that are reasonable in calories.

There is something called priming. If your using a thermal container for hot items, take hot/boiling water and pour it into the container. Wait for about 10-15 then pour out the water and add the food. You can prime for cold by adding cold water or placing the container in the freezer.