What works for you?

Options
We all know that what works for you may not work for me but I love to get some ideas I started my journey almost two months ago I lost 7 pounds already but I'm getting a little bit discouraged for some reasons I eat breakfast lunch dinner I do buy packaged food from HEB they have the health basket thingy and I try to make salads at home when I eat out I tried to eat half of my plate you so I can portion control go to the gym at least 4 times a week so please tell me a little bit about what works for you

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I do 16:8 intermittent fasting and enjoy working out. I do either Insanity or a stepper cardio with weights after every day except Wednesday, my recovery and bubble bath day.

Being active keeps me focussed on enjoying a healthier lifestyle. The eating schedule works with my hunger pattern and keeps my calories in check.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I also do 16/8 IF. It helps me quite a bit with hunger and cravings and I just feel better without breakfast. I have a Reformer and do Pilates several times a week and have a somewhat active job at a busy flower shop.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I follow the Lean for Life Program by Lindora. It's a Low Carb Diet. Best wishes
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    These are my rules, which I occasionally break, but not often enough to stop them from being rules:
    I eat meals, and only at meals. Water, black coffee and unsweetened tea between meals.
    Every meal has as a minimum protein, fat and vegetable.
    I aim to get in variety - something from each food group every day, and alternate and rotate. I eat at least two portions of fruit and three portions of vegetables every day.
    I plan my meals - I have a dinner rotation plan with designated weekday themes; all meals are based on simple templates so that there is consistency without having to count calories.
    I only eat food I like, and I only eat when I'm hungry, enjoy my food, and stop eating when I'm full.
    I cook as much as I (practically) can from scratch.
    I don't buy foods I don't want to eat.
    I walk often.
    I get enough sleep.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting works great for me. I eat my first meal at 1pm, my last at 7pm
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, I do best when I count calories, run regularly in addition to my lifting program, skip breakfast, and am reasonably strict with what I eat.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    16:8 IF most days. Lower carbs ( helps me feel very full, keeps me from snacking, works for me). Weigh and log every thing that I eat, no matter what it is except for gum. I do not weigh gum. I must admit, I did not start weighing my food until about late July of this year and that was one of the best decisions that I ever made :) . Oh, and of course count calories. It's a must for me! Some low careers can go without doing so, but I am not one of them :# . In my opinion, I Never feel deprived.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I eat all the same foods as I have always eaten, but just appropriate portions. I'm not a stickler for perfect nutrition. I stay within my calorie budget on average over the week. I loathe lifting weights, so I do some cardio but not real consistently, mostly bicycling. I use a fitbit to adjust my calorie budget for activity. I've been losing on average 1.5 lbs per week as expected.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I like 16/8 IF (from noon till eight) too. I eat quite light for breakfast and lunch so that I can have a satisfying dinner and a treat...if I eat in the morning, I'm starving hangry all day long and when I tried the many small meals throughout the day I never felt full or satisfied. My biggest tips are to have an arsenal of go-to meals that I enjoy for 300-400 calories for breakfast and lunch so I don't have to think about it.

My favourite is an english muffin with avocado, egg, and salsa for approximately 300.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I just get into a routine I know works for me - both with working out and meals - and I stick to it. Right now, I have a strict lunch and dinner, and me and my partner make it a habit to go work out directly after work. Doing the same thing every day helps make it a habit for me.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Im surprised at the number of people fasting. I guess I'm the odd one out because I eat all the time and don't believe in depriving myself for the sake of weight loss. But to each its own. Down nearly 45 pounds in 9 months.

I find intermittent fasting the opposite of deprivation. It's far more satisfying for me to eat one large meal than 3+ small ones. Don't make assumptions that someone is "depriving" themselves because they choose not to eat throughout the whole day.

My IF fasting schedule is 18/6. I eat between 2pm and 8pm
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What works for me: I have a real breakfast. On weekdays, including a protein shake, it gets up to about 700 calories for breakfast. I have a small lunch. On weekdays, I get about 300 calories from the usually low-calorie snacks available at the workplace. I spread that eating into even smaller portions at several times in the work day.
    On weekdays, I get home and prepare a stir-fry supper, aiming for 600 calories.

On weekends I don't have a protein shake for breakfast, leaving those calories available for a bigger lunch.

I try to get 125 g protein and 35 g fiber.

For restaurants, I have the self control to not over-eat the tortillas at a Tex-Mex restaurant, and just about all the restaurants around here can provide a salad with no dressing and a grilled salmon of some sort.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options
    When I was working on losing weight, I ate frequently and I ate whatever I wanted ... as long as I remained within my calorie limit.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this fasting until recently. I would pass out if I didn't eat until 2pm. To each their own! I try to eat clean whole foods but it is tough sometimes with a busy schedule. I walk everywhere, play hockey and softball and try to do some sort of group exercise class at the gym 1-2 times a week. I'd like to start lifting here soon. My biggest factors to my success so far are my digital food scale (one at home, one at work) and my Fitbit Charge HR. I pay close attention to my calories in/out but I also listen to my body. Very rarely I might still be hungry at the end of the day so I eat. Remember...long haul, long term change not crash diet!
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Prelogging!!
    I stick with the same breakfast and lunch during the week so I know how flexible I can be with snacks and dinner. This is incredibly helpful and forms a habit and makes me accountable for any issues that I have.
    :)
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great ideas love reading all of it thank you so much for your response
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I eat heartily the important meals and (kinda) skip the rest. Important meals are defined as with family, friends, great foods, occasions, post work out session, and when too much wt is loss.

No daily moderation, IF, worry about calories.