I completed my first half marathon!

Options
vespiquenn
vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
edited September 2016 in Success Stories
I did something I never thought I could, especially after the last few months. A little back story: I have never ever ever eveeer enjoyed running. In school, I avoided it like the plague. But as a teacher, I reluctantly agreed to help out with our running club last school year with a 5k race at the end. I fell in love. So I started training for my half back in May and was following a structured plan because I had several months of running club training. I made it to a bit over 6mi for long runs. However, after a 5k on July 4th, my knee became painful. It eventually became when I was unable to walk and became sidelined completely. So I threw away any idea of running the half marathon.

Well, after moping for over a month, I decided that I might not be able to run it, but I can walk it. If knee pain arose, I would just pull myself out of the race. So I went in with the idea that even a 16 minute pace would work, the course was open 7 hours after all for the full marathon.

Fast forward to today. I decided to do a run/walk method, until I hit the wall at 11 miles. Then it was mostly walking. But I still finished with a 13:43 pace and managed to hit my goal of under 3 hours completion.

Although I'm sore beyond belief, I'm glad I proved to myself that I could do it. Now to enjoy a hamburger and beer. :smile:

zdrtkfr34ceo.jpegz8mfoonltwxe.jpeg

Replies

• early2rise
    early2rise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Think of all those students you're inspiring!! Kudos, from one runner to another!
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Way to go, not putting a limit on yourself. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Run/walk is STILL a MARATHON!!
  • creationscrown
    creationscrown Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! You give me hope!! Signed up for one that's in Jan. I hate running. But love accomplishments. You gave me some great ideas!
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You are awesome, great job!!

I have fallen in love with running too!!

Keep it up....
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well done <3
    That is quite an accomplishment.
    You look marvellous at the finish. I don't think I would have the energy to raise my arms.

Cheers, h.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Nice job!! Half Marathons are a good distance... not to easy, not too far!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Although, I must admit, feeling the pain now. DOMS might be the death of me. I'm pretty sure it's worse than the run itself. :lol:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    so awesome, congrats!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yay you! So inspirational! I'm doing my first half marathon in April!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Way to go (run) op, such an inspiration to us all!
  • spencendawn
    spencendawn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! That's amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!