Do you work around food?

I've worked in the kitchen at a nursing home here for 6 years.
I have conquered every obstacle except one. Eating outside food.
I would like to just be able to pack my meals and just eat the food i bring.. So for those who work in the food industry, what do you guys do to keep yourselves in check?

Replies

• This content has been removed.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Is it against policy to bring your own meals? I used to work around food, and usually just brought my own lunch. I usually pack salad w/protein, yogurt, fruit.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Honestly? When I worked around food, after a while I could not bring myself to want to eat it, because it was all I smelled and it just got old fast. Have you been there a while?
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    I work around food, a place that has lots of unhealthy stuff! Some days I do great and some I cave and eat a pumpkin pancake
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I work a bit higher up the food chain. A supplier of goods to places like yours. Still raw, frozen, uncooked, in big boxes, bags, bottles, etc. Also sell confectionery and drinks, but the temptation isn't really there for me most of the time.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    I work at Cinnabon! Now that is a struggle!
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively wrote: »
    I work around food, a place that has lots of unhealthy stuff! Some days I do great and some I cave and eat a pumpkin pancake

Welll, I actually wrote more than just that, don't know why it wasn't all posted! Basically, I'm saying that I try to fast throughout the first part of my shift (I usually work 10 AM-8 PM). I try to eat my first meal during the afternoon hours when I have a chance to sit down and eat. I do eat their food, but I usually bring my low calorie bread, tortillas, cheese, etc. and use their chicken or turkey to create my own meals. And like I said, sometimes I cave and eat something I shouldn't have, or sometimes I snack on fruit. Either way, I just log into my diary and count it as breakfast.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    I take a protein bars or grapes or other things that I can snack on when I am feeling snacky and just want quick bites of this or that. So far it has helped.
  • Be_Lively
    Practicing IF helped keep me from snacking at work, like sneaking bites of this and that. It taught me discipline, that I don't have to try everything I see that I think I like! Now, I don't practice it daily because I have better self control, and can "just have one" instead of eating everything in sight. Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • Be_Lively

Welll, I actually wrote more than just that, don't know why it wasn't all posted! Basically, I'm saying that I try to fast throughout the first part of my shift (I usually work 10 AM-8 PM). I try to eat my first meal during the afternoon hours when I have a chance to sit down and eat. I do eat their food, but I usually bring my low calorie bread, tortillas, cheese, etc. and use their chicken or turkey to create my own meals. And like I said, sometimes I cave and eat something I shouldn't have, or sometimes I snack on fruit. Either way, I just log into my diary and count it as breakfast.

Just would like to note that the food I eat at work is paid for.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,144 Member
    There's no one who is going to be able to change that habit but you. When you cut the crusts off, throw them in the bin immediately. It doesn't sound like a hunger thing, it's more of a habit, and habits can be broken. You need to stop mindlessly eating it and make a conscious decision every time you pick it up that you're not going to eat it.
  • Alatariel75
    On a practical note, maybe try chewing gum? If you have something in your mouth while you're doing these food prep tasks, you'll be less likely to stick something else in there. Get a fresh stick of gum right before you start prepping. No one wants toast crumbs in their gum. Or brush your teeth after you eat your planned food.
  • Alatariel75
    You need to hire my Nonna to follow you around with a wooden spoon and rap you over the knuckles when you reach for something lol.
  • hoppymommy
    hoppymommy Posts: 11 Member
    No, but the people I work with bring in a lot of cookies, candy, chips etc. for everyone. It's hard cus it all sits on our break room table. I try to drink a lot of water to fill up and instead of that stuff I'll eat yogurt or hummus and crackers.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    I've changed positions now, but when I worked in a kitchen, I wasn't allowed to graze. Grounds for dismissal...it was considered theft. And in my state it is a health code violation. I still only eat or drink on my breaks. Now cooking at home, that's another story...tastes, licks, nibbles, yep.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I work in a place that always has food. During our season every month we have 2 days where there are over 24 dozen donuts in the place each day. Someone always is bringing cake, or pie, there's always a birthday, other business are always sending candy and treats. 2 weeks ago a business sent over Chinese food. There's wedding cake, there's barbecue, there's cookies and brownies and everything else.

Sometimes I partake, sometimes I do not. But if I am going to partake, I make sure it fits in my day or week. Sometimes those extra calories are worth it, sometimes they aren't.